Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karenphelan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 05:42 PM
    E3 holder returned unexpectedly to Aust confused about tax return.
    My husband and I and our young son moved to NY city in 2006 with the expectation of saying several years. My husband obtained an E3 visa and I was not working. Due to family illness, we abruptly terminated our stay after six months. We are hoping that we can claim back some of the tax we paid over the six months we were in the US. Are we likely to get any money back? Can someone point us in the right direction for info on how to file a tax return in these circumstances? Thanks.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 22, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by karenphelan
    My husband and I and our young son moved to NY city in 2006 with the expectation of saying several years. My husband obtained an E3 visa and I was not working. Due to family illness, we abruptly terminated our stay after six months. We are hoping that we can claim back some of the tax we paid over the six months we were in the US. Are we likely to get any money back? Can someone point us in the right direction for info on how to file a tax return in these circumstances? Thanks.
    It's hard to tell your status exactly from the information given but it is likely that you are non-residents and should file a 1040NR. If you are talking about 2006, then you really should have filed your tax return by now or requested an extension. In Australia you use the July-June financial year but in the US the calendar year is used and the due date for tax return submission was last week.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 01:06 PM
    TTE has covered all pertinent issues based on the information provided.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

Tax return form for H1 and H4 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am a H1B visa holder, came to US in January, 2006. I am married and I have two children, one is born in US and another one in Bangladesh. My wife and one child have H4 visa (dependent visa). I have social security number but they don't have SSC/TIN. Is there anybody can tell me how...

Tax Return for H3b Visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine is currently working in th U.S on a H-3B visa. She has been advised that she can only claim back $602 of the $2335,62 in Federal Tax that she has paid in over the last year... is this possible ?

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

View more questions Search