Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2023, 05:00 AM
    Alexander v. S.C. Conf. of NAACP.
    The question before the court this week is again about redistricting .

Last month SCOTUS reversed Alabama's redistricting because it was allegedly racially motivated . A court appointed official will draw Alabama's map for the 2024 elections.

Supreme Court refuses to revive Alabama’s GOP-drawn congressional map | The Hill

Now a South Carolina decision comes under similar scrutiny for SCs 1st district . It is in the Charleston area and has been traditionally Repub. A Dem won in 2018 ;and GOP Nancy Mace won in 2020.

After the 2020 census the Repubs wanted to solidify their advantage so the did what parties do when they control the drawing of districts .....they gerrymander to their advantage. They added some Repub areas into the district and took out some Dem.
    That is the way the game has been played since the creation of the republic.

The revised map gave the GOP a 54% advantage from a previous 54% .

The SC NAACP challenged the map in court saying that the redrawing was racially motivated.

A 3 judge panel rejected that argument in 2 districts ;but found merit to it in the 1st.

Partisan gerrymandering is legal .If it were not so then I would not have lived in a district in NY that hardly had any of my community in it.

Question

Does the South Carolina legislature’s redistricting map, which has the effect of moving tens of thousands of Black voters to a different district, constitute an impermissible racial gerrymander, even if the legislators’ purported intent was merely a political gerrymander?

Alexander v. South Carolina State Conference of the NAACP | Oyez
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2023, 06:11 AM
    Does the South Carolina legislature’s redistricting map, which has the effect of moving tens of thousands of Black voters to a different district, constitute an impermissible racial gerrymander, even if the legislators’ purported intent was merely a political gerrymander?
    One man's food is another man's poison.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2023, 07:48 AM
    I lived in the Hudson Valley west of the Hudson River. The majority of my Congressional district(17th) was in the Bronx and lower Westchester ;east of the river . In 2013 it was redrawn to eliminate the Bronx . But the bulk of the district was still on the other side of a toll bridge across the river .

I do not believe the intent was a racial dividing. This was to give Mace some breathing room . She was one of the 8 to vote for McCarthy's removal . Otherwise she has been pretty good .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alexander the great [ 4 Answers ]

What is a reason that we should know about the Alexander the Great?

Alexander's Horse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi friends What is the name of Alexander's horse

Case mgmt conf. In California civil court [ 2 Answers ]

What does a case management conference exactly in regards to a California civil lawsuit. Does a defendant need a lawyer there, need to appear there in person or do anything; particularly if they've already filed a response to the complaint?

Racial Hoaxes and the NAACP [ 33 Answers ]

By Walter E. Williams Wednesday, December 12, 2007 Do we still need more evidence that black 'leadership' in this country feels the need to inject racism where it doesn't belong? If Williams hadn't granted me Amnesty and Pardon (.pdf) I might be persuaded to write the Baltimore chapter of...

View more questions Search