Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lahawk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Breaking a yearly lease
    We rent a house in Los Angeles and signed a year lease with the management company. When the first year was over they offered us a month to month but we asked for another year which they agreed to. Currently we have a signed yearly lease that ends in August. We recently received a letter from them stating that the owner wants to move back in and we have 60 days to vacate which is 2 months before the lease is up.

Can they force us to vacate before the lease is up? I thought a lease was a binding agreement between two parties.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
    Normally you could stay until the lease ends but careefully read your lease. Since they originally wanted you month to month they may have added a stipluation regarding early termination. If there is any clause like that it must be on your copy of the lease too not just theirs. No clause, you stay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 21, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Yes a lease is binding on both parties. So, unless the lease includes a termination clause for their benefit, you can stay. However, what you might want to do, to avoid unpleasentness, is to ask for a buy out. If they want to terminate early make them pay your moving costs or other monetary compensation.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 21, 2007, 06:19 PM
    If your house is under LA rent control ordinance, there may be a provision for the owner to cancel a lease to occupy the property. Double check and if there is no such provision or provision in your lease agreement... ask for a buy out.
    chippers Posts: 440, Reputation: 88

Apr 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Sorry scott< I got the need to spread the comments around. I agree with you. That if you have a binding lease with no termination clause, the lease is binding. But as scott said, to avoid unpleasantness, you might want to find a new place anyway. They can make life a nightmare for you to get what they want.
    We were living in rented condos and the landlord wanted to change that to selling them. Those who contiuned to rent the landlord refused rent money then filed for eviction. That's just one thing they could do to make you move.
    If you're not sure about the language, have an attorney or legal aid go over you lease agreement. As Scot said, the clause has to be on both copies, yours and your landlords.
    In addition to moving expenses, you could ask for you deposit back. They have to give it to you or explain why. All the more to seek legal councel
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 08:04 AM
    This is just to emphasize what cvillecpm said. Los Angeles does have some special laws in the rent control area to allow owners to move back into their houses. So, if the owner was just trying to get you out early, that would probably be illegal. But if they are doing it so that they can move back in, it might not be. The law might require them to offer you some sort of financial recompense, but I am not sure on that.

And a quick Google turns up this: LA City Housing Law: Evictions

A landlord may bring an action to recover possession of a rental unit only upon one of the following reasons:

8. The landlord seeks in good faith to recover possession of the rental unit for the use and occupancy by the landlord, or the landlord's spouse, children, or parents, provided the landlord is a natural person, or for a resident manager.

Reasons 8,9,10,11 in the list above require the approval of the Rent Stabilization Division. A landlord in all those cases must fill in a form and file it with the division.

For reasons 8,9,10, 11 a copy of the appropriate declaration must be served upon the tenant or on before the date in which the tenant is given a 30 day notice to quit. Also for all of these evictions, relocation assistance is required to be paid by the landlord within 15 days after the service of the notice.

So it appears that yes, they can ask you to leave, and they only need to give you 30 days notice. But they do need to pay you something, which is probably specified in the law. And a further quick Google gets me:

Monetary relocation assistance is available to eligible and qualified tenants.

Qualified tenants are those who are 62 years or older, handicapped, or disabled, or who have one or more minor dependent children.Qualified tenants are entitled to receive $5,000.

All other tenants are eligible, and they are entitled to receive $2,000. These amounts are paid per unit, not per tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment in Florida. My lease ends in the beginning of July, but I want to break my lease due to infestation of bed-bugs. The apartment complex paid to have the place exterminated; in which I moved out for three weeks (still paying full amount rent, for the month) the...

Breaking A Lease [ 4 Answers ]

Hello i moved in to bella vista apartments in april paid rent and security depost. I gave written notice april 30 of moving out this was in 2003. They sent a letter keeping my desposit (fine). No damaged was caused also the apartment was rented out. Now 2007 they letting me i owe money for rent...

Lease breaking [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I just signed a lease to move into a house in a couple months. After thinking about it I can not come up with all the money to rent this house. They sent over a led paint disclosure and I didn't sign it. I contacted the realtor and told her we could not afford it. She came back and told us...

View more questions Search