Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JCBNLA Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2022, 05:38 AM
    Symbolic Logic Question
    In propositional logic, the disjunction "P or Q", symbolized as "P v Q" can be taken to be "inclusive" or "exclusive." Inclusive would mean "P or Q or both", whereas exclusive would mean "P or Q but not both."

It is the convention among logicians that a disjunction is to be taken as inclusive, and not exclusive. My understanding is that the reason inclusive was chosen over exclusive is that the exclusive disjunction makes working with logic more cumbersome.

My question is this: Besides making logic more cumbersome, is there something illogical about the exclusive disjunction? The truth table says that if both disjuncts are true, then the disjunction as a whole is false--because, by definition, only one of the disjuncts can be true in an exclusive disjunction. But consider this disjunction: the number 7 is prime or the number 7 is odd. Both disjuncts are true, but it seems absurd to say both disjuncts taken together is false.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 13, 2022, 08:38 AM
    How would you symbolize that (7 prime,7 odd)?
    JCBNLA Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2022, 03:56 AM
    One way to symbolize it is "P or O"

P = the number 7 is prime
    O = the number 7 is odd

Since my original post I've already discovered the answer to my question.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 16, 2022, 09:09 AM
    I'm glad you figured it out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symbolic meaning of the numbers 222 and 444 and 1313 [ 11 Answers ]

I keep seeing the numbers 222 lately. For example, I would look at the clock and it would be 222, and then a few days later, the same thing would happen. Before that I kept noticing 444 and previous to that the number 1313 kept showing up around me. Does anyone know the symbolic meaning of these...

Do androids dream of electric sheep - Philip.K. Di(k - Chapter Five - Logic Question? [ 0 Answers ]

While reading chapter 5, I stumbled across a question regarding the logic of the content. I'm still in the process of reading the book, so it might clear up itself - but I'm not sure it will. I wonder: The corporation that produces the Nexus - 6 androids tries to trick Rick Deckard into thinking...

Question from a christian friend and I want a logic answer for him [ 0 Answers ]

Surah 2:106 - "Whatever communications We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring one better than it or like it. Do you not know that Allah has power over all things?" Surah 6:115 - "And the word of your Lord has been accomplished truly and justly; there is none who can change His words, and...

Knowing when dreams are symbolic or literal [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering how to tell when to take a dream literally and when to take it symbolically Or when it means both, Like the other night I dreamed that I was on a journey and I saw the exact mountains in the picture below, I was excited but upset saying to my son that I couldn't get to them...

Symbolic of all our moods or personalities [ 2 Answers ]

I had seen a picture possibly watercolor that was of a person holding probably 10 to 12 heads in their arms. My take on the picture was of all the different personalities or moods that we hold within ourselves. Can anyone give me a lead on the title or artist? Thanks

View more questions Search