Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    SIMBRIAL's Avatar
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 33, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jan 10, 2022, 06:51 AM
    Taxes abroad being on a Green Card

    I would like to know if a green card holder gets taxed on his worldwide income, no matter if he is in the USA or if he decides to live abroad.

    Whatever rule applies, will it be the same also for a US citizen, but in this specific case, if he moves abroad?

    Thank you,
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 10, 2022, 08:38 AM
    The answer is YES.

    Both U.S. citizens and U.S. residents, i.e., green card holders. must declare ALL world-wide income.

    This requirement applies whether you live in the U.S. or overseas.

    Atlanta Tax Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

maintaining green card abroad during pandemic [ 1 Answers ]

1)Did USCIS announce any relaxation on the duration a green card holder is permitted to stay outside the country (without an Advance Parole) before the card becomes invalid? Prior to the pandemic, it used to be one year. 2)What are the benefits of physically surrendering the green card after...

Green card holder stayed abroad more than one year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a valid green card till this date. I had family reasons that resulted in my stay outside US for more than one year, and I am planning now to go back to US. Is it possible to travel and enter US with my valid green card. Thank you.

Travel abroad with green card [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. Her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My...

H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005. I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife...

View more questions Search