Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ChikakoS's Avatar
    ChikakoS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 15, 2021, 08:49 AM
    W9 or W8BEN for dual status alien
    I am a dual status alien (resident to non resident) and I need to complete either a W9 or a W8BEN form in order to withdraw my US pension. I am currently in the non-resident alien part of my dual status. As such, do I complete the W8BEN as a non-resident alien and list the pension withdrawal on my 1040NR tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jan 10, 2022, 08:45 AM
    Yes, use Form W-8BEN and, yes, report the pension withdrawal on the Form 1040NR portion of the dual-status return.

    NOTE: Do NOT do the dual-status return by yourself. This return is very complex and should be done by a tax professional with experience filing such returns.

    This is NOT a return for amateurs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status alien alien couple choose to file as resident aliens? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I came to the US in March 2016 (we both have H1B visas). We are planning to stay for at least 2 more years. As I understand, we will be dual status aliens for 2016. Can we both elect to file married filing jointly as resident aliens? The only info I found was for a resident...

Dual-status alien choosing to be treated as resident alien [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I hope I can get some advice here. I am married, and both me and my wife live in US. I used to be J-1 student, and she used to be J-2 dependent. On January 14, 2010 my status in US was changed from J-1 to H-1B, and her's was changed from J-2 to H-4. I understand we are both now resident...

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Dual status alien or resident alien for tax purposes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I come from Poland, in September, 15 th. 2006 I came to the USA on J1 visa (scholar), and I have been on it ever since. Can I fill tax refund for 2008 as a resident alien (1040) or I am rather considered as dual status alien? Can I fill the taxes jointly with my wife she came with me and...

Resident alien, nonresident alien or dual status [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I arrived in US on Jan 6, 2004 with F-1 visa. I graduated in May 21, 2007. From May 21, 2007 until November 30, 2007 I was with OPT (that is considered still F1) and worked for a company in US. From October 1st until now (2008) I am under H1B visa working for the same company...

View more questions Search