Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Celticharper1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2005, 09:24 AM
    Water backing up into vent pipe~Help!
    Hi,

We recently moved our water supply (kitchen) against the wall, rather then in mid kitchen (old house) previously the kitchen had had an addition (not added by us) that left the sink sitting "kitty corner" off the north wall, we wanted to utilize more space so had a friend help move the plumbing to the nearby north wall (couple of feet) this also required re-routing the venting a tad~we decided to work with what we had as much as possible, so we just left the major upper half (to the roof) in place and re-routed the lower half. The new kitchen sink is not hooked up yet.

On the other side of the wall, is the already existing washroom, the washing machine has it's own vent (in line right after the washer drain stand pipe) when we went to do laundry and the washer drained, the water is trying to come up in the vent pipe in the kitchen (in spite of the fact that the washer has it's own vent pipe).

The sequence is washer drain stand pipe, washer vent pipe, through the wall to the kitchen to the main drain (and another vent pipe for the kitchen).

Does the fact that we have no sink/trap installed yet contribute to this problem?

We're afraid to finish installing the sink and sink cabinate (thus completing the kitchen) because then all those pipes will be closed off to us.

Due to a job layoff in the middle of this, we've now no funds to call a pro (large family, just doing the best we can with what we have kind of thing).

In a nutshell, our fear is that if we complete this project, we will discover that the water backs up into the kitchen sink.

Could we have an airlock somehow?

We're baffled.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Celticharper1
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2005, 01:02 PM
    If it didn't back up in the old sink, it shouldn't now unless the open pipe is much lower. I think something was knocked loose or fell in the pipe during the work, and is now restricting the drain below the washer. Recently I rented a good manually operated snake from Home Depot for $20 for 4 hours. Even a child could turn the handle while Dad pushed the cable down the drain. Easier while the trap is off. Traps block foul, toxic, inflammable sewer gas, and resist snakes. They do not keep water from backing up. I would at least rubber band some plastic over the open pipe for now.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 22, 2005, 06:17 PM
    I have to go along with Lab man on this. Your fixtures may have separate vent but they both use the same drain line. Don't look up at the vents, They're fine, don't worry about "airlock", you don't have one. Instead look down at your drain that has a partial blockage in it and I can hear it crying out. "Snake me! Snake me!". Good luck Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air Vent pipe replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Live in an old house that has exterior metal air vent pipe--it exits the crawl space through foundation blocks (above ground), runs up the clapboard, through the roof eave. A wood cabinet has been built over that portion of the house, so now there is no easy access to working with the pipe. ...

Vent pipe clogged? [ 2 Answers ]

My first floor bathroom sink drains through vertically down and then through a sloping pipe and then into a septic system. The sink drains very slowly. The other sinks and two showers in the house are OK. I first thought the sink line was clogged, but I have opened and cleaned out the line and...

Help! Water backing up from pipe in basement [ 3 Answers ]

My townhouse is 1 1/2 years old and I live in the end unit. There's a 6-8 inch PVC that comes out of my basement floor. The pipe is flush with the floor and has a cover. The cover doesn't screw or snap on, it just sits on top of the pipe. 8 or 10 inches down the pipe is a cap that screws on. ...

Vent pipe for washer [ 3 Answers ]

Hello again, I'm putting a washer where none has existed before (see Washer Height Discharge). You've answered my question about discharging over a door, but now the question about the vent. There is no vent stack near the washer. Can I run a 2" PVC vent pipe horizontally? I would have the...

Moving a vent pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I recently took out a wall that was part of a closet to make room for a double sink in the bathroom. The Vent pipe 3" was in the wall. I cut it at the floor , put a 90 to the left , went over about 2 feet then another 90 up through the ceiling into the attic where I went at a 45 to the right then...

View more questions Search