Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    imadthegreat's Avatar
    imadthegreat Posts: 52, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member

    Jul 23, 2021, 08:00 AM
    Contributing more than 19500 in 401K
    I recently switched my job and my new employer automatically enrolled me in 401K plan. In my previous job, I had already maxed out my $19500 limit.

    I think I can reach out to my new plan administrator and ask them to refund my excess on which I will pay taxes when I file my 2021 return. But I have another idea in my mind. If I continue to contribute max all the way up to $19500 again, my employer will match 50% of that. Then towards the end of the year, I can ask my plan administrator to send my $19500 back on which I will pay taxes. Is that approach legal and acceptable?
    AtlantaTaxExpert's Avatar
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,834, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

    Jul 23, 2021, 05:20 PM
    You should talk to the 401K custodian to determine if they will take back the matching funds from the employer because your initial donation exceeded the 19.5K limit.

    If that is in fact the case, then your plan should not be pursued and you should ask for an immediate refund.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Competency: Contributing to team success [ 2 Answers ]

Your manager have asked you to receive at the cell phone counter every Monday morning as the sales person is undergoing training during that time. This will have a major impact on your ability to do your other work. How will you handle this? Attitude and actions

Us ex-pat contributing to 401k? [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in Canada for 20 years and have duel citizenship. I have worked in the US, but never contributed to a retirement fund. Can I do it now because of previously earned US income? What would the Canadian tax consequences be?

Mandatory Withdrawel while Still Employed and contributing to 401K [ 2 Answers ]

I will turn 70 1/2 next March - I will be continuing to work - my company and I both contribute to my 401K. I also have an IRA that was funded from a rollover from a prior company. Since I am not planning to retire for at least 5 more years, will I be required to start pulling the mandatory...

Is my weight a contributing factor? [ 2 Answers ]

I am a couple of stone over weight but feel happy and healthy I have no residing health problems from it so I don't have a problem with it the only thing is I have had two miscarriages and really want a baby but I have been trying with my boyfriend for a while and still no luck every time my period...

What is the difference between contributing to a SEP or Roth IRA? [ 2 Answers ]

I have only social security income and some contract income for 2009. Would it be better to open a SEP account for the contract income or contribute to my Roth IRA. Which would give better tax treatment?

View more questions Search