Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Yusf Posts: 198, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2021, 03:05 PM
    Voltaic cells: They should not work.
    I have a question about voltaic cells. Let's say I dip Zn and Cu rods in a beaker of acid. My book says that Zn donates 2 electrons that travel through the circuit and to the Cu electrode. Cu electrode gives the electrons to H+ ions in solution.

Now my question is, why does the 2 electrons produced by Zn have to travel around the circuit? The H+ ions are surrounding the Zn electrode too. So the 2 electrons can go to the H+ ions near the Zn electrode instead of travelling through the entire circuit right?
    I mean as soon as the 2 electrons are produced, they can be picked up by nearby H+ ions. So why do they need to travel all the way from zn electrode to the wire connecting zn and cu electrodes to the cu electrode and finally to the H+ ions?

Any help would be appreciated.

Check out some similar questions!

If there are 669 cells in 11 out of 15 views, then how many cells would be in 40 view [ 1 Answers ]

If there are 669 cells in 11 out of 15 views on the microscope, then how many cells would be in a transect of 40 views?

Cells [ 1 Answers ]

What is the subdivision of a living cell

Structural differences is that eukaryotic cells evolved from prokaryotic cells? [ 0 Answers ]

I have this for homework and don't get it? Can u plese help me? Thanks

The Cells [ 2 Answers ]

What would happen if the nucleus was taken out?

Clicking differnet cells and it selecting all cells [ 2 Answers ]

Just wondered if anyone knew what I did to get ms excel to select all cells from A1 to what ever cell I clicked on. Thought it was sticky keys but it was turned off. Clicked left mouse button and it moved cells then when I clicked other cells it started using that as a new ref point and selecting...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.