Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trishala Raj Posts: 95, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2021, 08:19 PM
    Non Resident tax implications
    Hello Atlanta Tax Expert,

If I left the USA in 2017 . I am now in India and so am a non-resident for US tax purposes for 2020, and want to convert part of my traditional IRA to Roth IRA. What are the tax implications of this conversion for me? Is there a tax slab for NR (Non-Resident) person?

Would appreciate your response.

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2021, 08:36 PM
    On such a conversion, you will have to pay taxes on the value of the IRA with NO deductions at all (since NRAs do NOT get the claim the standard deduction).

Will you be returning to the United States any time soon to work?

Feb 2, 2021, 08:47 PM
    No will not return anytime soon. What rate will I be taxed at? Will it be
    flat 30%?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 2, 2021, 08:58 PM
    No.

Since the 401K or IRA distribution was tax-deferred when you filed your return and deducted the contributions off your tax returns way back when, the transfer will be taxed using progressive tax rates.

Feb 3, 2021, 06:56 AM
    The contribution was tax deferred but we did not take any deduction on it . So at what rate we pay taxes then ? Is there a tax table to follow for Non residents?

Thanks for your responses

Feb 10, 2021, 08:03 PM
    Hello ATE,

I was on F1 student visa from India in 2010. Later I was on H1b visa.
    Now I am a non resident and
    filing a dual status . When I file the 1040NR, can I use Article 21(2) to
    claim my kids as dependents? Or I cannot claim any dependents on my 1040NR
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2021, 08:15 PM
    The answer to your question is you CAN claim your children as dependents.

The actual issue is WHY are you filing dual-status??

Presumably, you have returned to India and are filing for the W-2 for the partial year of 2020.

However, you have the option of claiming the default Residency Termination Date for 2020 as 31 December 2020, which would allow you to file as a resident alien one last time.

You WOULD have to declare all world-wide income, but you can declare your Indian salary and claim the Foreign Tax Credit for Indian taxes paid.

This will allow you to claim the $24,800 joint standard deduction, claim the full Child Tax Credit for your children if they have SSNs, and probably will allow you to get the Economic Stimulus payments added to your refund. The end result would be a MUCH higher refund.

Do NOT forget to submit the Residency Termination Statement by 30 June 2021.

If you need professional help with this, email me at [email protected].

Feb 10, 2021, 08:43 PM
    Sorry I meant 1040 NR and not dual status. I have been out of USA since 2017 but withdraw small amounts of my ira income every year . So I do 1040 NR.
    In 2010
    I was on F1 student visa. Does that make me eligible to claim my kids as
    dependents on my return using Article 21(2)?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2021, 08:49 PM
    Then the answer is NO. To claim your children as dependents on the Form 1040NR, they must be physically present in the United States during the year of the tax return.

Feb 11, 2021, 08:56 PM
    Thanks . Appreciate your response.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2021, 09:55 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian Citizen,currently Singapore tax resident moving to USA - Tax Implications [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen, considered a resident in Singapore and tax payer thereof for the last 3 years (4 years inclusive of this years filing). I am relocating to the US on a work permit. 1. The financial year in SG and US is the same - Jan - Feb. I expect to file taxes here before leaving. So...

Peruvian citizen, US resident selling a property in Chile tax implications [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My former husband and I bought a property in Chile about 17 years ago. We were temporary residents there at the time. Since that we moved several times, divorced, I got married again and am a legal resident of the US in NC. Now are planning to sell that property in Chile and transfer the...

L1A and Resident Tax Implications [ 2 Answers ]

Good day. I am currently in the process of organizing the logistics for an L1A visa for myself. I am Canadian and work for a Canadian software company that is the parent of a US based subsidiary and will be moving to oversee the US offices. The question I have relates to the tax implications of...

Question about moving/taxes (resident/non-resident/part-resident status) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from DC to New York for work, but between leases I moved back home with my parents for a month in NJ. I'm a little confused what forms I need to fill out. My situation was: Lived/Worked in DC from Jan - Mid-Nov (Should require the DC Resident Return) Lived in NJ/Worked...

OPT - H1B Tax Filing, Resident or Non-Resident and Implications [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Please help me, I am in a complex situation. Like so many H1-B visa holders, I was on OPT (F1) till Sep 30th 2009 and my H1 started from Oct 1st 2009 and I worked whole year for a single company but in two states. In what status do I have to file my taxes for 2009, is it Resident or...

View more questions Search