Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Needshelp17 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2020, 10:11 AM
    Grounding and bonding
    New home construction, 200 amp service, I am installing the meter socket and connecting the grounding lug with 4 AWG cable to two 8' grounding rods placed 10' apart. The new 200 amp circuit panel is being installed inside behind the meter socket and will have the main disconnect inside. Do I need to run a 4 AWG cable from the neutral/grounding bar in the circuit panel to the meter socket grounding lug? Or is it already grounded by the neutral on the service entrance cable? Or does it need to be grounded independently to a ufer or the plumbing?
    Thank you.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2020, 05:18 AM
    From weatherhead to meter socket (service disconnect)
    3 conductors in 2" rigid conduit: all 3/0 insulated copper, 2 hot one neutral.

In meter socket box
    Two 3/0 hots connected to top of meter socket from weatherhead. Two 2/0 hots connected to main disconnect running to breaker panel.

Neutral is connected to neutral bar which, via #6 copper, is grounded by 2 earth grounding rods. The grounds are 8' 5/8" copper which are connected via #6 bare copper using clamps.

From meter socket (service disconnect) to breaker panel
    4 wires all in the same 2" rigid conduit: two 2/0 insulated copper hot, one #6 insulated neutral, one #6 insulated ground .

In the breaker panel
    2 hots connected to breaker lugs, neutral connected to neutral bar, ground is connected to DIFFERENT ground bar. From the ground bar #4 copper is connected to the copper plumbing pipes with a clamp for grounding.

From:https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...ket-panel.html
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2020, 05:40 AM
    Bonding only occurs once on the premesis, usually at the service disconnect, from there on r neutral and ground are separate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bonding and grounding what's the difference [ 3 Answers ]

Bonding vs. grounding

Above Ground pool Grounding/Bonding [ 1 Answers ]

Does the grounding/bonding wire around the perimeter of an above round pool have to be burred or can I hide it under the lip of the pool "Ring" at the top of the support post?

Grounding, Bonding and Surge Supprression [ 2 Answers ]

For now I'm going to put this paper up as is. Eventually, I'll add page numbers for explanation of common questions that appear here. Some examples are: 1. Why are additional ground rods such as those at a sub panel a bad idea? See page 5 2. What is a ground loop? 3. Why is a...

Grounding and bonding [ 4 Answers ]

I am running electrical service from one building to another by running two hot wires, a neutral, and an insulated ground wire underground from from building #1 to building #2. Building #2 has a grounding system consisting of a piece of rebar labeled "electrical ground" protruding from the concrete...

View more questions Search