Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuttStew Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 12:51 PM
    Plumbing air lock in hot water system
    Yellow! I have a comparatively modern house (built 1975) in Eastern Cape, South Africa. T has a non-pressure geyser (boiler) fed by a ballcock system which always develops air lock after 3 minutes running the bath. The outlet pipe is slightly upwardly orientated -which looks wrong. Could this be the cause of the problem? Placing a copper T pipe with a vacuum breaker at highest point of outlet pipe did not solve problem (B. idiot, who would have thought it might save me?) Desperately seeking answers from kind experienced person(s)!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2007, 03:21 PM
    You're correct. The vacume breaker will remain closed as long as there's pressure in the line. By "air lock" do you mean the water suddenly spits and then quits or do you mean it develops a knock or chatter? Regards, Tom

Apr 22, 2007, 08:17 AM
    Dear Tom,

You kindly asked whether 'by "air lock" do (I) mean the water suddenly spits and then quits or do (I) mean it develops a knock or chatter?'. The answer is definitely 'spits and quits'. Some times only forcing water back into the outlet pie from another system works to unblock the airlock. I am very grateful for your help.

With my best wishes.

Stewart
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 22, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Hey Stewart.

You mention a outlet pipe. Outlet from what? The tank? Your non-pressure geyser is a water storage tank that depends on gravity for pressure. Correct?
    "The outlet pipe is slightly upwardly orientated -which looks wrong. Could this be the cause of the problem?"
    You have back fall on a non pressured supply pipe? You MUST treat these pipes like drainage and give them fall to your house. If you don't the pipe could develop a air bubble evry time the water runs out that would give you the problem that you have.
    Give the outlet pipe some pitch and let me know if it helps. Repards, Tom

Apr 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Thanks Tom

I am going to make some modifications and will let you know the result. Having a roof pitched rather shallow (because the tiles imported by the builder from Italy back in 1975 were expensive) does not help. One needs a Houdini physique [or to be young again]. Our old house in Zimbabwe was properly pitched and one could take out tiles to let in air and light. I guess it's no good looking backwards though.

With my sincere thanks

Stewart
    oosonu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2013, 12:11 AM
    http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-an-Airlock-from-Your-Hot-Water-System
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
    Plumbers, am I right in believing that there is no such thing as a bubble of air in a pipe which can somehow prevent water from flowing? I can't imagine air holding back water at 50 psi.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 06:19 AM
    You are correct John... ;) The article at the link above is complete nonsense. In the article, they talk about a water heater repair job and confuse refilling the pipe(s) with water with air lock in the system. The article was not written by a plumber!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 07:18 AM
    T has a non-pressure geyser (boiler) fed by a ballcock system which always develops air lock after 3 minutes running the bath.
    I think that means a water heater fed by a float controlled holding tank or reservoir in the attic. Meaning the hot water system is gravity fed.
    If I were going to guess at this problem it would be that all the water in the holding tank is used for the bath and air enters the hot water pipes. Apparently the hot water piping depends not only on gravity, but also on a siphoning action somewhere in the system.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2013, 09:24 AM
    This is a six-year-old dead thread. I don't see a question here so, what are we responding to? Cheers, Tom

Sep 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
    OK, so I screw up again Tom, what's new.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 14, 2013, 10:50 AM
    You okay with me Widget Maker. Your solutions and answers are top hole. Keep them coming. Have a great weekend, Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 14, 2013, 11:15 AM
    Hi guys! Nope, me and Jlisenbe were responding to oosonu dropping that link at post #6 from yesterday. John asked a question of the plumbers onsite about "airlock" and I answered him is all. Things kind of grew from there... LOL!
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
    Just having some fun. I hear about these "airlocks" on here from time to time. They have never sounded believable to me.

Sep 15, 2013, 05:51 AM
    Maybe it was just ruse by Tom, ( oosonu in disguise) just to make us talk to each other. Let's all meet at the sewage treatment plant and have a splash party.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
    When you think about it, if you spell "Tom" backwards, remove the "moT", and then add "oosonu", then you would have it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air lock in plumbing system. [ 9 Answers ]

Sometimes when I turn off the tap's, the supply pipe start's to rattle. I am not on a pump system, and have a storage tank in the attic. I live in Ireland. House is 30 years old. Please help.

Bleeding air from old hot water system [ 3 Answers ]

I have old circa 1930s/40s? Baseboard radiators that always seem to be full of air. I bleed them at the valves and it is OK, but it only lasts for a day or so, and then the darn things are cold and I have to bleed them again, what's up? Sometimes when I bleed them only cold water comes out and it...

Air lock in the toilet system [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone help ? I have an airlock (air hammer for the US contingent) in my mains fed toilet system. I have two toilets, that both work fine, but after flushing either of them, I get an awful noise... that can take as long as 30 seconds to occur... coming from the system. I live in the UK, in a...

Air lock in hotwater system [ 2 Answers ]

I recently installed a new bathroom suite which is fine but the hotwater flow reduces to a trickle after a few minutes I tried to remove air bubbles by putting a pipe from the mains tap to a hot water tap on the ground floor to flush any air bubbles out without success. I also drained down the...

Plumbing Air Lock [ 1 Answers ]

Our water service was shut off for 3-4 hours. After it was turned back on several faucets, etc. had air in the lines. One shower valve only has cold water. When it is turned to "hot" there is no water as if there is a air lock in the hot water line. How do we vent/remove the air lock ?

View more questions Search