Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nashmetal100 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2018, 09:01 AM
    Why does government keep secrets from the public?
    Let's say there's a corrupt government out there that checks all the typical boxes: accepting bribes, prosecuting innocent people, framing foreign countries for things so they have a reason to start a war, etc. Why is a government so secretive about it? Hypothetically speaking, let's say congress, the president, and all the supreme judges came forward today and admitted to taking money from corporations, rigging elections, imprisoning and torturing people, and staging 9/11 so they could go to war with Iraq. What am I, an average citizen, going to do about it? I can't complain to the police or try to get the government prosecuted because the police and courts are part of the government and would never convict themselves. The only thing I can think of is protest but what good does that really do? People are standing outside the white house in herds, protesting and sitting in the street, blocking traffic but that hasn't made Trump change any of his policies. In fact, most of those protesters have been arrested. Even if what they were protesting about wasn't illegal. In North Korea, it's no secret about how oppressive their government is but if anyone protests, they're murdered. So the people have barely, if any, power against the government.

So what I'm asking is why would a government go through all the effort to hide the truth from the public when there wouldn't be any consequence from letting the truth be revealed?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2018, 09:51 AM
    "and staging 9/11 so they could go to war with Iraq." This is not the place for Conspiracy Theory!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 27, 2018, 10:05 AM
    No self respecting corrupt individual or group does his dirt in the open. Corrupt does not mean dumb or stupid because there are consequences for such actions even in NJ. So your premise is inaccurate.
    nashmetal100 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Sep 27, 2018, 02:11 PM
    I know that the government doesn't do it out in the open. That's why I'm asking why they don't. If they got exposed, what would happen to them? If average citizens tried attacking the government for their misdeeds, they would no doubt be persecuted for treason or attacked by police/military. Countries like North Korea and the Soviet Union (at one point) don't sugar coat the fact that their government is authoritative and oppressive. In fact, they're proud of it. Kim Jong Un is even referred to as a "dictator" so it's no secret.

I understand criminals have to keep what they do a secret because they'll get arrested. But if the government commits crimes, how could they arrest themselves?

Now I don't really believe all that about 9/11 being staged. I'm just saying hypothetically, let's say George Bush came out and confessed or whatever. Sure, people would be outraged but other than that, how would it harm the government?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How government affect the flow of money between government and different household [ 0 Answers ]

How does the government affect the flow of money between government and two households - lone parents and couples with children, using one example of a government decision. How would this decision affect how money flows between these two different households and co-operations. Could someone...

Why is it only the stupid people in Government make it to central Government ? [ 5 Answers ]

Why is it only the stupid people in Government make it to central Government ?

How does public policy impact what government ? [ 1 Answers ]

How public policy impacts what government does and how it does it. How the implementation of public policies can lead to the formation of "distributive and regulatory policies" that can adversely impact citizen's lives. How distributive policies help produce environments which fosters and expansion...

Government Influence on Public Opinion? [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone help me out -- I need to do a position paper on the following question: To what extent should governments attempt to influence public opinion. I need examples too please. Thanks

Should government attempt to influence public opinion [ 14 Answers ]

Should government attempt to influence public opion?? If the answer is yes, why .

View more questions Search