Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sqeaky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 10:31 AM
    Getting father to give up parental rights
    I live in Toronto Canada, I am separated from my abusive husband, we have a daughter he has not seen in her in three months, I do not want child support from him. I feel it is in my daughters best interest to have nothing to do with him or his family. I have three other children from my first marriage, and am in process of obtaining sole custoday for them.

Is it possible for my estranged husband (whom I have had arrested for assault) and he can no longer be within 500 meters of me, nor contact me, to give up his paternal rights to my daughter.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 18, 2007, 11:16 AM
    E-mail me at [email protected]
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Not sure if its much different in Canada, but in the US, you can't force a father to relinquish his parental rights. Usually the courts will only grant such if the child is being adopted.

But that's not what you really need. What you need os to obtain sole custody and to deny him visitation rights. Based on his being abusive, you should be able to get those things. That's all you need.
    sqeaky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
    You would think that assault especially in front of children should absolve him of that right...
    He has never supported any of us... I have always supported him and the other 4 children, he didn't even work. I don't want his money... jsut out of my daughters life, as well as mine... soemtimes I wonder about the system and who exactly it protects.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 18, 2007, 11:39 AM
    People can change and rehab themselves. That's why the courts would be reluctant to take away all rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

How do you give up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

The biological father of my sisters son wants to give up all rights. This is also what She wants because he has had nothing to do with his son since he has been born. She doesn't want no child support from him. Is there certain things she has to do to Start the procedure. For example, do they...

Wanting to give up parental rights [ 14 Answers ]

My friend is going through a nasty divorce. His kids are not wanting to speak to him and his wife is making his life hell. He's fought for 3 years to get his kids and the kids don't want anything to do with him. He is near a mental break down and is just wanting to give up and have everything...

Give up my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is paul and I have a problem. Me and my ex girlfriend have a son together. My son will be 2 years old dec. 27 and I have not seen him since he was 8 months old. The mother has taken me for child support. I never received a court notice to go to court so it ended up in a default...

Give up parental rights [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has requested that I give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can I get things going? Don't we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. Right?

View more questions Search