Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WithAK Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 12:45 AM
    Can I repair the bottom inch of 4 panel door frame?
    I was given a prehung door unit. Two 24" framed glass doors meeting in the center with a 24" fixed glass door panel on each side. A total of 8 foot wide for use in my backyard office.
    The doors are excellent. But looking at the pre-hung part, the bottom plate and 1/2 - 1 inch of the door frame is rotted. This is a quality set (except for the bottoms). Could I replace the bottom few inches of the 4 jams? Could I cut an inch off the jams and doors and create a new bottom of the frame? Is it worth trying to repair?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 12:53 AM
    You have stated that the doors are excellent. I would try to repair them. I would say that cutting out a piece of the jams and doors would be better left to someone who knows woodworking and touch-up/refinishing, unless you are able to do that kind of work yourself.

Just a small piece of repair and touch-up is usually worth it, if the piece is otherwise in excellent condition and serves your purposes.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 03:24 AM
    A pre hung door uses the same components as a stick built one. Buy a clear 1 x 6 and matching moldings and build the door frame yourself. Shim the rough opening as needed to make things fit. Finish to match the doors.

Pre hung doors are a huge labor saver, but nothing a good worker can't duplicate.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
    I definitely agree with Labman on this one. I would remover the doors from the damaged frame, install a new frame in the rough opening and re-hang the doors. You can buy a "door frame kit" that has all of the components pre-cut and ready to install.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oven door repair [ 2 Answers ]

I removed an oven door to make cleaning easier. Now I cannot get it back on. It has 2 hook like catches on each side of the door and there are two bars that I can see to slide the hooks onto, but the hooks won't go far enough in to catch on the bars. Any suggestions or tricks to putting this...

Door Frame on Concrete Block [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old house and my walk-in door to my garage had, yes had a Pine 2X8 non-treated rough opening on concrete block. Rough opening and wood door frame has rotted. I have obtained a Vinyl door frame kit and I am wondering the correct procedure to install the new Treated Wood rough opening...

Ceramic tile finish edge next to sliding door metal frame [ 1 Answers ]

How do you finish the edge of ceramic tile next to edge of metal frame sliding door? Do you butt the edge of tile to edge strip or leave 1/4 inch gap for grout? William rossbach

View more questions Search