Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelpi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2017, 07:34 AM
    General question about washing machine drain hose & standing pipes
    Where a washer waste hose goes into a standing pipe - can it be connected like this? So that it is screwed into some kind of fitting and it's closed. Or would that create any potential issues?

I know this is probably not a standing pipe where the drain hose connects, but this is what I basically mean. The way it is sealed or closed to the outside air by screwing into some type of fitting at the top of the standing pipe.
    Or in this picture it kind of looks like it is closed off to the outside.

Or could that cause mold or any other issues? What I usually see is the hose hanging over an open pipe. But I can't find anything saying that the open pipe is necessary for a special reason.
    If there is a standing pipe behind the washer - I just wondered if it could be attached and a kind of closed system. Thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 1, 2017, 02:29 PM
    I'm not a plumber but have done plumbing. All I will say is that washers produce lint and the drains often clog, and it's far more convenient to have a removable hose and a removable trap nearby. The trap full of water is what prevents sewer gas from coming out. I'd rather have a clog going back up the stand pipe where I can see it start to overflow, than backed up into the washer.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2017, 02:32 PM
    The reason you don't directly connect to the waste water system is because you can back siphon the waste water into your washer. The way it is normally done is to provide an air gap that breaks the water flow and prevents back flow. Let's say you have some clothing with fecal material in it. Doing it the way you consider could back flow E. Coli into the washer AND possibly into your house water supply.!
    kelpi Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2017, 03:17 PM
    Um, okay. You've both completely convinced me! Cheers.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 1, 2017, 03:30 PM
    Hello Kelpi, plumbing Code says you have to have P-trap and 30" of stand pipe. You insert end of the hose into the stand pipe - as shown in visual #2

As already described in two previous answers, the first visual #1 is wrong way of draining washing machine. Instead, in this situation you would hang washer hose over the sink edge and had water from washing machine pumped into the sink

Hope that helps

Milo
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Nov 1, 2017, 04:36 PM
    I'm fairly certain a washing machine drain connection only requires an air break. A bathtub filler / spout, and most sink / basin faucet spouts use an air gap.....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I drain washing machine hose into bathtub down shower drain? [ 1 Answers ]

Our nornal drain connection to the pipes are broke and id like to do laundry still till it can get fixed. Can I takethe wash machine hose and direct it to my shower bathtub drain? Would the soapy drainage be too much for a shower drain? Or Would it be perfectly fine even after a long time...

Washing Machine drain hose in the floor? [ 2 Answers ]

I just moved into a rental property and what looked like PVC pipe coming up from the drain in the floor was broken off. My landlord removed the U shaped hose from my washing machine and placed it into the drain on the floor. Now my washer will only fill up about 3 inches and then starts to drain....

How to fix washing machine drain hose that is frozen [ 8 Answers ]

I have a washer that on occasion will not drain properly. The washer works fine but when it needs to drain the water is blocked and begins to leak out at the hose and pipe connection. The installation of the drain was not done professionally so it is probably not deep enough below the frost line....

Washing machine drain hose [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting a new washer and want to put it in a different place that the old one. The problem is it's about 8 feet from the standpipe. Can I put on a longer piece of drain hose and use it? Thanks, Rick

Washing machine drain hose [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore washer and have a problem of water backing up in the drain pipe. It seems that it drains too quickly and thus the overflow. I the drain pipe comes out of the laundry room floor and there is also a drain on the floor. Could I add on to the drain hose to possibly slow the flow down?...

View more questions Search