Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tina2686 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 06:22 AM
    Cat not getting on with her 6 month old kitten
    My cat misty had 4 kittens about 6months ago and we gave 3 of them away and kept just the one misty and the kitten have been getting along very well, until now as its been nice weather we let the kitten out in the garden and since then, misty keeps hissing at her kitten and trying to fight her, I don't no if letting the kitten out is why misty is doing it. But I'm worried we might have to get rid of the kitten, misty doesn't do it all the time but just now and again when the kitten passes she'll do it, does anyone have the answer for, please help. Sorry about essay just wanted to put as much info aspossible.:confused:
    missk Posts: 517, Reputation: 44

Apr 17, 2007, 07:18 AM
    I don't really have an answer for you, but I do have a very similar story. Two years ago my cat had kittens and we kept one (we got them both fixed by the way). Anyway, my cat bisquits hisses at her daughter still to this day. It is weird because they will sleep together-they are outside most of the time-but same thing like you when Pepper passes by, Bisquits hisses. She used to do it a lot but she has calmed down a bit since then. Sometimes they will play together but every once in a while, she will just get in this mood and hiss and swipe at her. I think it will get better for you. I think it just must be a natural thing for them to do. Maybe she is trying to get her to go on her own and be independent.

Apr 17, 2007, 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the response, yeah I was thinking it might be something to do with her being independent now, because when she was in she followed misty about, so maybe she wants her to be independent.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
    Do you allow both in the garden, or just the kitten? If it's only the kitten, you may be setting yourself up for a territory dispute. The kitten is at an age where mom would be starting to drive them out of her territory (so that she can mate and have more!), and Misty may be claiming the house as her territory and the garden as the kitten's, if Misty is not allowed out in it.
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Apr 19, 2007, 07:15 PM
    I agree with Froggy. I also recently read in a book in a vets office that a cat will swat and hiss at another one to tell them that they don't want to be bugged. Kind of like she's telling her to "GO AWAY!"

Apr 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I let misty out when ever she wants, and the kitten bailey just goes out when were out.
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Apr 20, 2007, 03:46 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it too much unless misty looks like she's going to seriously injure, or kill, bailey. I have 14 cats, the oldest is 16 and the youngest ones just turning a year old, and 1 dog, and let me tell you, ALL of my cats have fought at one time or another.

The one, who is four years old at the end of this month, is really odd. One of the other cats will walk by her, and she will follow him/her until he/she stops, and then smack'em on the head and run away. She does this all the time. It is perfectly normal for cats to smack each other around. Sometimes they are just playing, and as I said, sometimes they are just saying, "LEAVE ME BE."

What is not good is when you see fur flying and hear cats making this awful screaming noise that hurts your ears and curdles your blood. (This is the best way I know how to explain it.) If that happens then you do have to separate them. Actually, the one who smacks the others started separating herself from her kittens as soon as they stopped drinking her milk and started eating hard food. After that she didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had a kitten~~~~ [ 3 Answers ]

And it died.. it came out butt first and my friend told me that she is still in labor b.c she keep walking around the house a lot and puring and then mowing then growing does this sound like she is still in labor or was there just 1 kitten? Please help me ASAP:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cat abandones kitten [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cat who has just had a litter of kittens (2 weeks old), 7 in total. All kittens were born healthy, on time and appeared to be nursing well and growing well. The mother cat has been excellent with them, only leaving them for a few minutes to eat, drink, or go potty. However, today...

My 2 Month old kitten [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my kitten from a pet store last week, and I'm not sure her history before the pet store. Last week I noticed my kitten had a watery eye, but it didn't seem to bother her, but I took her to the vet instead, just to make sure. The vet gave me an ointment to put in her eye twice a day for 5...

Cat/kitten outcome? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We are currently looking after a stray we found under our shed. Here goes the problems... she was pregnant delivered two days(JUNE 9TH) before I could catch her to take her to the vet, had 6 kittens all seemed OK all passed away day by day(maybe fading kitten syndrome?) with the last guys I...

My six month old kitten left 5 days ago... [ 3 Answers ]

I have a gorgeous 1 year old cat-Mayhem and a six month old kitten-Matilda. They are the best of friends. The both of them have a great home here and lots of love. Each day the cats beg to leave the house. They know how to open the screen and come and go as they please. The older cat has been doing...

View more questions Search