Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sleslieb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
    401K draws and Income tax reporting
    I requested a draw from my 401K on 12/28/2006; it was pulled from my 401K account by Fidelity, but they didn't deposit it into my checking account via EFT until 1/2/2007. Is this taxable income for 2006; Fidelity reported it on a 2006 1099-R? I think it is taxable income for 2007 since I didn't receive it from Fidelity until 1/2/2007.:confused:
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Apr 16, 2007, 08:25 PM
    It's just like if you wrote a check on the check to pay a bill on the 29th of Dec and it didn't clear the bank until Jan 2nd. You would still count it as being paid in Dec, right? Same difference. It's when you ordered the distribution.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 02:26 PM
    Mobea is right, but it depends on when FIDELITY records the distribution.

If they recorded the distribution on 28 Dec 2006, then it is taxable for 2006.

If they recorded the distribution on 2 January 2007, then it is taxable for 2007.

If you got a Form 1099-R for 2006, that settles the issue in the eyes of the IRS.

Apr 23, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobea
    It's just like if you wrote a check on the check to pay a bill on the 29th of Dec and it didn't clear the bank until Jan 2nd. You would still count it as being paid in Dec, right? Same difference. It's when you ordered the distribution.

Mobea, thank you. Since I received a 1099-R from Fidelity for the distribution as having been made in 2006, I think I'm stuck with having to report the extra income as occurring in 2006. There's always a chance that Fidelity made an error in reporting it for 2006, so I asked the IRS to review situation (a three-day holiday caused the delay in the posting of the distribution to my account in 2006) and make an adjustment to my tax returns if needed. I understood your analogy, but the rules are different for income reporting. For example, companies are allowed to defer reporting salary payouts until the following year - The dates on this example aren't accurate, but, I've had almost two full weeks of pay in 2003 reported as paid out in 2004 and taxed in 2004. It's a weird setup and not as simple as it seems. If they can do that, why shouldn't income paid out by Fidelity be able to be reported in 2007 - especially since it wasn't received until 2007?

Apr 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Mobea is right, but it depends on when FIDELITY records the distribution.

If they recorded the distribution on 28 Dec 2006, then it is taxable for 2006.

If they recorded the distribution on 2 January 2007, then it is taxable for 2007.

If you got a Form 1099-R for 2006, that settles the issue in the eyes of the IRS.

AtlantaTaxExpert, thank you. I never hurts to ask, which is why I asked the IRS to consider that Fidelity might have incorrectly reported the distribution. What do they call the time frame between reporting money paid and actually paying it - float. Can Fidelity legally "float" a payment? -Report it as paid, but not actually pay it for several days? Does the method of payment matter? This was an EFT payment not via US Mail. Well, this is all conjecture at this point in time.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 08:20 AM
    I'm not an expert, but it seems to me that Fidelity and the IRS would both argue that the money was actually withdrawn from the 401(K) on Dec 28 - that is the date the money is no longer in the 401(k). Hence that is the date that gets reported. The fact that it may have been caught up in the "float" and you didn't have access to the money is unfortunately not relevant. Think about the analogous situation of selling shares of stock - the date of sale is the date that the transaction is booked, not necessarily the date when you actually transfer the physical stock certificate or receive a check.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 08:58 AM
    Since you got the 1099-R from Fidelity, it is clear that Fidelity considers the money distributed in 2006.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign income reporting [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Indian National and I have been in US on F1 since Aug 2001. My F1 expired on June 2006 and I was on OPT till my H1 began in Oct 2006 (havent got H1 stamped as yet). I had filed 1040NR for the past five years but read that after 5 years, I should start filing as a resident. Is this...

Reporting income less than $600, not reported on 1099 MISC [ 2 Answers ]

I worked for a company and earned less than $600 so they did not send me a 1099. Do I have to report this income anyway?

Reporting Interests in tax return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi again, I have some savings which earned some interest in 2006. Do I need to report this in my tax return, regardless of the amount? I do not work, but is considered a resident alient for tax purposes. One of my husband's banks is requesting him to fill up W8-BEN but I think he needs to...

Reporting interest income on 1040NR-EZ [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I have read most of tax related topics in this forum and I feel this is a very helpful forum. I need your advise on my status: I was a student until April-2005 (Originally I came on F-1 status in Aug-01), my OPT was started in May-05 and I got job in August-05, my H1-B start date is...

Please help with numerical (income measurement & reporting) accounting problems [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the following problems. Can someone please help me with these problems. I really need some help. I would really appreciate it. Thanks 1) During a recent period a real estate development company using the installment method of revenue recognition used a 40% gross profit...

View more questions Search