Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aallen83 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Neighbor slipped in Dog Poo-suing
    Hello. My neighbor slipped in dog poo on her lawn last week and claims she has a "compressed fracture" and needs surgery and might be out of work 6-8 months. She said she still has the dog poop she slipped in and she is going to get DNA samples of the dogs in the neighborhood (she does not have a dog) and find out whose dog it was and sue the owners for lost wages. The catch is this: My daughter had her first birthday party this weekend and the lady did not like the crowd it created around the house and pealed out of her driveway almost hitting two kids! Then when she got home one of the parents who is also a neighbor told her that if she drove like that by her kid that there would be issues. She called the cops saying she was threatened, and the cops came and all I know is what the cop told me which was "She did not like what we had to say to her". I think that she did really fall, but now has decided to sue because she is mad at the neighborhood and this is her way of retaliating. My question is can she sue for slipping in dog poo that was on her property, if it belongs to my dog or someone else's, and secondly, even if she did sue wouldn't this be seen as retaliation? I understand it is our responsibility to clean up after our animals but these things do occasionally happen, and isn't it her responsibility to keep her yard clean? I mean, if I would have stepped onto her property, slipped and fell in the same poop, I could sue her because it was on her yard!! Any input and advice is appriciated! Thank you.:confused:
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 01:44 PM
    I don't know if the same principle applies, but during a hurricane here in VA a few years back the issue of who owned the tree in reference to whose insurance had to pick up the cost for the damage got knocked around a lot.

It was determined that whomever owned the property that was affected had to claim on their own insurance. If you use the same logic then she would be responsible for the poo in her own yard. If a guest of hers had fallen instead, she would be the responsible party.

If she can find a lab to process DNA doggie poo and then find the guilty dog all she can do is possibly get a summons for tresspass.

That's just my .02! She sounds like a real joy to live beside - you have my sympathy.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Apr 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Do they even have labs that would process dog poop DNA? Is she going to go around to yards and scoop offending poop? This sounds so ridiculous.
    Has she actually found an attorney that would take this kind of a case?

I would say, if she doesn't have an attorney yet - she is probably just blowing smoke.
    And you also have my sympathy for having to live next to such a great neighbor.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 02:45 PM
    Sad, but she most likely did find an attorney to represent her. About the dog poop - she owns no dog and so whoever's dog is pooping in her yard - it becomes the dog owner's responsibility. In fact there are leash laws and poop laws that can apply to this - the dog should not have been out on his or her own. Check with your city ordinances about leash and dog poop laws. So she might have a legitimate gripe here. I do doubt the seriousness - if she can peal out of her driveway - too bad you did not get that on video.

I live in big apt complex that allows dogs. One of my neighbors was taking her garbage out and slipped on some dog droppings and fell on the sidewalk, hurting her hip. She successfully sued the property management for not enforcing the dog ordinances in the city. Then the management went after all the dog owners and evicted them all, since they could not tell who was really responsible. Who would admit that? But now, there are new dog owners with the same problems. I feel if someone wants a dog that much, then they should follow through on all the responsibilities.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Let her talk, it is all bull, first do you know the cost of DNA tests, and next she could not get a court order for the dogs DNA if she wanted to.

Just laugh at her and go about your business
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
    It is both necessary and easy to clean up after your dog. One way is to slip a plastic bag over your hand, and pick up the offending matter and turn the bag inside out. I always have some of the bags my newspaper comes in on damp days with me. Some people use bread wrappers.

Do you have any idea how many questions I see from people upset about their neighbors dog fouling their yard?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 06:49 PM
    I can't speak for there area but for example were I live there is no leash laws, it is legal for your dog just to wonder around the neighborhood if they want and they often do their busniness here or there. Only inside city limits in the last three states I have lived in are there any leash laws ata ll.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Not every thing that is legal is responsible or acceptable.
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 16, 2007, 10:40 PM
    She can sue, yes, people sue for just about everything. If you have homeowners insurance, which I hope you do, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if she makes a claim or attempts to sue, you would simply turn it over to your insurance company and they would assist you in the matter.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Not every thing that is legal is responsible or acceptable.
    Ain't that the truth!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Yes she can sue. If there are pooper scooper laws in your area, then she will win the suit. If not, then probably not, especially since it was in the grass not on a walkway.

Whether this is retaliation for other slights has absolutely no bearing. All that matters is whether the law in your area requires pet owners to clean up after their animals or whether there are leash laws. If it does then the dog owner was negligent and liable.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Scottgem, I don't believe the nasty neighbor knows whose poo was whose.

I don't think she has a case unless she got the offender on tape, do you? Apparently there are multiple possible parties that it could be.

Note to the wise: Pick up your puppie's poopie or risk a lawsuit!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 17, 2007, 07:20 AM
    [quote=Emland]Scottgem, I don't believe the nasty neighbor knows whose poo was whose.

Maybe the CSI crew could come out and "investigate" all the dogs in the neighborhood.

This person is wacko. Where was this poo if it was on the grass how could she have suffered such injuries? And if it was somewhere else why didn't she see it? It's poo how do you slip on it anyway?
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    It's poo how do you slip on it anyway?
    There is some big, nasty poo out there. It could happen!

The cautious side of me would be to ignore the neighbor and steer a wide path around her. The crabby side of me would want to put one of those toy CSI kits on her porch and hide in the bushes and watch her reaction.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 07:27 AM
    I am sad to say, I too have slipped on poo.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 07:28 AM
    But, it was my own dog and it's my job to pick it up. :(
    Darn it.
    aallen83 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tombb25
    She can sue, yes, people sue for just about everything. If you have homeowners insurance, which I hope you do, I wouldn't worry too much about it, if she makes a claim or attempts to sue, you would simply turn it over to your insurance company and they would assist you in the matter.
    I rent, but I do have renters insurance. Does this cover it as well? I am not even saying it is my dog, just being cautious.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 08:36 AM
    I think it all comes down to the fact that she can't prove whose dog it was, no judge will allow a request by her lawyer (if she gets one) to take DNA samples from every dog on the street. So unless she is crazy enough to follow each dog and collect a sample and pay for DNA testing and THEN sue, don't worry too much.

As said above, she can't prove whose dog did it, but yes anyone can sue for any reason but without evidence it will be dismissed right away.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2007, 08:59 AM
    I think it depends on the extent of her injuries. But I disagree that a court would not order DNA testing for the dogs in the area. Stranger things have happened. If her insurance company is out a significant amount of money in paying for her care, then they might be behind her in this.

So if the law says to clean up after your dog and someone didn't, then they are liable. I don't think it anymore unreasonable to require a DNA test for each dog in the immediate area then it would be for each male at a party where someone is raped.
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't think it anymore unreasonable to require a DNA test for each dog in the immediate area then it would be for each male at a party where someone is raped.
    Are you serious?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My shih tzu goes poo and pee in his crate! [ 11 Answers ]

I have read many articles regarding my situation and I would like further advice if anyone has it. I have a 5 month old shih tzu and he is getting the grasp of potty training and actually really good at it. The only thing I am having the hardest time with him pooping and peeing in his crate when we...

My puppy has blood in his poo [ 4 Answers ]

:( I have a 15 week old male, and he is very happy all of the time, but just to day I found out there is blood in his poo. He has had his shots and woming as well. It has been going on for 2 days. (I have 2 other dogs) Please help me!! :confused:

Dog poo is off color [ 4 Answers ]

This morning when my dog went the toilet she did a few poos that were very white, they were dry and were crumbly. She also did poos similar to these this afternoon and I'm very worried. She also did not have her dinner last night or tonight. She is a white pure bred maltese dog who is nearly 2.5...

Amex suing me [ 5 Answers ]

From New Jersey Hi everyone, Well I was working a job and decided ultimately I needed to go back to school. My income declined sharply while my expenses sort of grew and I ran into credit card debt with Amex. My father offerred to help me and we attempted to settle with Amex, but they...

Alternative to surgery for a slipped disc in my Daschund? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old rescue pup beagle / daschund mix. Through regular daily activities she managed to get a slipped disc in her spine. Surgery was not an option at the time because I had no job & couldn't afford it. A month of rest & crate "LockDown" she seems to be OK until she reinjured her...

View more questions Search