Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacherteacher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Divorce and Child's College Tuition
    Our divorce settlement stipulated that our child's college tuition would be split 50/50.

My exhusband says he can only afford 1/3 of the costs and for only the next two years.

I don't own a home, but I make about 3X's as much as he does

He does own a home, but it is in his wife's name - it's all paid for and worth about $4000

The only child support I have received for any kind over the past 12 years is $143 a month.

I supply health and dental insurance.

what do you think my chances of getting any $$ from him for tuition are?
    whiteladybug2002 Posts: 235, Reputation: 36

Apr 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
    I doesn't sound like it!

Your child should apply for financial aid and scholarships for college.

Contact a lawyer and ask if you have anyway to make him help out, but I don't think it will do much good. Worth a try though?

Good Luck and God Loves You!
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 16, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Well ,take what you can get.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2007, 11:20 AM
    To get more you will need to take him to court. Since he agree to pay 50%, the court will seek to enforce the agreement.
    teacherteacher Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
    I should have said that his house is worth $400,000 not $4,000 - big typo

He also chooses to work part time, as does his wife

I on the other hand work about 80 hours a week and have taken on another part time job to help pay for college

He has decided to actually reduce his work load for a while
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
    If you can show that he is deliberately lowering his income to get our of paying support, the court will compel him to pay.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
    Normally a support order is upheld based on a person's potential income, so those who try to take lesser paying jobs or work fewer hours don't get to escape the system. I say pay your half, and any additional you can to help your son right now, but file a suit against your ex for non-compliance with a court order. Keep track of ALL payments you make, always write checks to provide a paper trail. If he agreed to do this in your divorce settlement, he is legally obligated to follow through. Hire an attorney.
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Apr 17, 2007, 09:52 AM
    What do you mean matt?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ex not paying college tuition? [ 3 Answers ]

Can my ex refuse to pay for our son's college tuition even though it is in the divorce that we each pay 50%? He says he doesn't have the money and probably can't get a loan due to negative equity on his house... Is it worth it to take him to court?

Is Excelsior College a real college? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, if someone can please help me and let me know if Excelsior College's distance learning program is legally accredited, I would appreciate it very much. I would like to get a BS degree in Computer Information System through distance learning. I found that Excelsior College is perfect for this,...

Changing my child's name [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know how I can go about changing my son's name. He's 4 months old. And I made the HUGE mistake of naming him after his "father". His "father" isn't around and never comes to see him. I don't want my son to be named after such a irresponsible loser. What are the steps I need to make?

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

Withdrawal from 401k for child's college tuition [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to confirm something for my brother. In 2006 he did an early withdrawal from his 401k of $5,000.00 to go towards his daughter's first year of college tuition. What ax liability his he facing?

View more questions Search