Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    nikkimadc's Avatar
    nikkimadc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 12, 2017, 02:56 PM
    father passed away
    My father passed away - and he had some land. One of my sisters and her husband want to keep the land - I don't live near there and have no interested. Rightnow I have a deed that states me as the Grantee of a mortgage. I don't understand what this means. I could really use the money out of this property right now - I am trying to find a house to live in. I don't know what I do from here and what the document means

    Alty's Avatar
    Alty Posts: 28,318, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

    Mar 12, 2017, 03:39 PM
    When it comes to wills and real estate it's best to consult a lawyer. There's just too much you can't tell us online.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Mar 12, 2017, 03:51 PM
    When did he die?
    How many siblings do you have?
    Did he leave a will?
    Was it probated?
    Was their a balance on a mortgage when he died?

    The lender is the grantor. You are the grantee. But please answer those questions.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    Mar 12, 2017, 08:22 PM
    You being grantee means you are named on the mortgage and would be responsible for paying it if a balance is outstanding. Will? Executor? Your father never mentioned you are on the mortgage? With your lack of understanding you should get legal assistance.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Mar 12, 2017, 11:59 PM
    Are you sure that's what the deed says? That doesn't sound right. If there is a mortgage on the property, it would show up as a lien. Ownership of the property is listed differently.

    If you are listed as an owner then your sister would have to buy the property (or your share) from you.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Mar 25, 2017, 04:59 PM
    ... I have a deed that states me as the Grantee of a mortgage. ...
    A mortgage would name the bank (or other lender) as the grantee.

    A deed, on the other hand, with OP named as a grantee, and which mentioned a mortgage, would be unusual. Possibly the father recorded a deed to the OP (son) which would be subject to the mortgage. As noted, OP should get an attorney to take a look at it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What if my father just passed but need proof he is my father [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how to get tested to make sure that he is my real father and what I can do to put him on my birth certificate!

Father passed away [ 8 Answers ]

Hi... My dad passed away of cancer at age 40 sadly and I ended up seeing his best friend not to long ago and he asked me about certain things that I should have. When he passed away my step mother gave me a box full of a few shirts,a jacket,picture, and a wallet, and mark martin small scale...

Father Passed Away [ 7 Answers ]

My father passed away on the 3rd of June due to a 16 year battle with Prostate Cancer. The last year I made sure I was there at every dr. appt and chemo appt. for support for my mom as well as my dad. Now that he is gone I am with my mother about every day my dad made me promise to not leave her...

My father passed [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed left inheritance. Married 18 years. Is my spouse entitled to my inheritance?

Father passed [ 9 Answers ]

My father passed this life on Jan 2, I was with him at his passing. He went down hill quickly since Thanksgiving. At that time he could still walk across the floor, but Christmas he was confined to his bed. His passing was peaceful in his sleep. He will truly be missed.

View more questions Search