Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobbyb33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2017, 04:33 PM
    adding 2x6 at right angles to existing ceiling for new drywall
    want to lower ceilings to 9' from the 9.5' they are now by running 2x6s 24" oc at right angles to existing joists. These will tie into rim joists and also be supported from the existing joists . On a 12 x 15 room the total ceiling weight would be only around 500# so I believe this would give much more than enough support for new ceiling. Thank you for your input.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2017, 05:38 PM
    These will tie into rim joists and also be supported from the existing joists. ​ How will they be supported if they are below the existing joists? Lot of work for a 6" drop. Are you going to use a finished ceiling? Drywall?? If not, why not just use a dropped ceiling?
    bobbyb33 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2017, 09:46 PM
    Like I said , the 2x6s at 15' will be right at max span and will use rafter tie or similar at center point to tie to existing joist for added support though they will be supporting only like 2# per sq. foot drywall weight. This is actually easier than tearing off the old lath and plaster ceiling with the resulting mess and still give me the 9' ceiling I want replacing the old 8' dropped ceiling. Will then be using 54"x12' lengthwise on walls to meet the 9' ceiling. I think I have answered my own question but input still appreciated. Fyi , this house is like 125 years old.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 11, 2017, 03:35 PM
    What's above this level?
    I would hire a demo crew to make a mess tearing down the plaster and lath.
    Insulate, insulate, insulate that 125 year old ceiling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I drywall over an existing attic hatch [ 3 Answers ]

Hey there, I'm trying to make our home more energy efficient. There is an attic hatch roughly 23 x 29 that is not used as we have a second one. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Should I cut back the existing drywall to expose half of the rough ins and screw in my new drywall into...

Adding a second light to existing [ 3 Answers ]

I have the power source coming into an existing light, then to the switch. From the light, the power goes out to an outlet. My question is how could I connect another light into this to have a second light in this room? Thank you. Paul...

Adding light kit to existing ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a house built in 2004. I am attempting to install a basic ceiling fan light kit with a pull chain to the ceiling fan on the patio leading from the dining area. I have followed the below referenced five (5) steps exactly and cannot obtain any lighting from the new ceiling fan...

Adding insulation to existing cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a cathedral ceiling with R-19 insulation plus a radiant barrier draped over the rafters. I would like to upgrade this to R-30, but this is a finished house. The only way I can think of adding insulation would be to either tear down all the ceilings, or take off all the shingles...

View more questions Search