Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motheroftwo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Stinky bathroom
    We have recently moved into a two year old home. I was so excited about the move because our other house had a stinky bathroom. I called every plumber in town and they all thought I was crazy. There were not leaks of any kind and they found no problems what so ever except I had a stinky bathroom. So, as I said before I was excited about getting rid of our stinky bathroom when we moved to our new house. We have been here for 6 months now and the same smell has come into our bathroom. It is crazy! This smell is following us. Could it possibly be the soap we are using souring in the drain. I can't think of anything else. We use Dove white soap. It is a moisturizing soap so I was thinking it may be building up in the drain and smelling. What could be the cause of this smell in two different homes now. It must be something we are doing or using.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 05:12 AM
    We have a new member here who says he is a paranormal investigator and he would probably say you have a stinky spirit following you around. I don't see why they couldn't haunt a bathroom as well any other room in the house.

Have you tried some drain cleaner in both your sink and tub ? Maybe some Pinesol down the drain will help.

Apr 16, 2007, 08:37 AM
    Ha Ha! Maybe I am being haunted by a smell. I have not tried any drain cleaner. I wouldn't even know what to use. Any suggestions. I know it is a PVC drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Most bad shower and lavatory smells are caused by rotting hair matted with grease from the soap. Try this. Tonight before you go to bed pour 1/2" gallon of bleach down each drain. Next morning flush the bleach out with, (and this is important) two large pans of boiling water. The bleach will start to dissolve the hair and the boiling water will melt the grease and flush the mess out. Good luck and let's practice a exorcism on that "stinky ghost" Cheers, Tom
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Apr 19, 2007, 10:33 AM
    How old are the two you are mother of? Is it possible that one of them is doing something to smell up the bathroom?

Apr 19, 2007, 11:01 AM
    My girls bathroom is not the one that smells it is mine and my husbands bathroom. The girls never use it.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Apr 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
    Is he doing something to make it smell? :-)) (Just kidding)

It sounds like it is the soap/hair down the drain. Tom's suggestion seems to have worked for many others. You should try it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Hi Speedball, I meant to say we have a product in Ontario called Liquid Plumber that works the same way as you describe.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Did you try Tom's suggestion? Did it work?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stinky Water [ 1 Answers ]

I have smelly water that comes out of the faucet when I run hot or cold water. I read through some of the other similar questions on this site but I live in a large apartment building where I cannot access any of the things discussed in rectifying the situation. What can someone like ME do (if...

Standing stinky water in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

In my bathroom sink there is standing water- but only below the stopper. The water drains a bit slow but doesn't back up at all. I have cleared all debris and flushed the drain with a Drano type cleaner and it didn't help at all. The worst part is that the water smells aweful. What is your...

Stinky bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

Why does my bathroom stink now that we just replaced the toilet?

Stinky Cats [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 males cats; a Siamese and a Maine Coon. When these boys use the litter box the smell is unbearable! Is it because they are boys and don't cover up their business with litter? Is it the food I am feeding them? I have tried every type litter, deoderant powder, etc... I keep their litter...

Another stinky bathroom question [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm new to the forums here and to home improvement. My husband and I just bought our first "fixer upper". So far it's been a learn as you go process. Anyway we have a ranch with a downstairs half bath that has a horrible smell coming from it but only some of the time. I got some advice and have...

View more questions Search