Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Softgel Guys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2017, 05:53 AM
    Most cost effective surfactant for vegetable oil?
    I am trying to make so that vegetable oil can wash off skin/clothes using cold water alone.

Have tried PEG 40, Tween 20 as well as Tween 80. All 3 do the job, but are very expensive. Are there any cheap alternatives?

Thank you!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 1, 2017, 07:12 PM
    No idea. And I know nothing about those 3 products. My first concern was environmental damage by surfactants. I found this in a horticultural discussion:

Alkyl polyglucosides. As complex as this term sounds, it simply refers to modified sugars. It has been found that some modified sugar molecules have surfactant-like properties and may be used as spreader/stickers. Although this class of adjuvant has been around for some time, it is only now becoming popular due to its organic origins, biodegradability, and the fact that it is environmentally friendly. There are low foaming and high foaming types, and many are very good wetting agents. Originally developed as environmentally safe cleaning agents (car wash cleaners) in England, they have transitioned to being used in laundry detergents and as agronomic adjuvants. These products have very low potential for phytotoxicity because they are derived from plant sugars. Research on these materials is on-going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does PEG400 makes soft gelatin capsules brittle as opposed to vegetable oil [ 2 Answers ]

We use two types of fills: Vegetable oil and PEG400 One thing we noticed was that all the oil based capsules are a lot more robust than the PEG400 based capsules. We are trying to achieve the same kind of effect with our PEG based fill (i.e. make them more robust) Any advice would be highly...

What can I use in place of vegetable oil? [ 10 Answers ]

Well, the title says it all. My husband and I are having some friends over tonight, and we want to make brownies, but our box version calls for vegetable oil, and we don't have any in the apartment. What can I use in place of it?

When Baking, What Are Some Alternatives to Vegetable Oil That You Might Like to Use? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, All! Some of you know that I've been getting into baking things lately. Most of the recipes call for the addition of vegetable oil. Are there any alternatives to vegetable oil that you might like to use when baking? If so, why, please? Thanks!

Cost effective [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, Is it more cost effective to keep the air conditioner thermastat set at 79 all the time or to turn it up to 81 during the day while at work and then turning it back to 79 when you get home late afternoon? It seems to take a long time to bring the temp back to 79 and seem to use more...

View more questions Search