Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TKH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Activity Based Costing in Accounting - Activity Drivers
    Hi,

I'm required to introduce Activity Based Costing in Finance branch of a Government Department. Does anyone know what Activity Drivers can be used for non-transactional based activities, such as preparation of Budgets, Annual Report, or other Accounting "common activities".
    The way system works is the following: Finance Branch is divided into Functional areas (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Financial Accounting, System Management and Management Accounting). For each Functional area the list of activities had been produced. As a first step the cost of resources (mainly salary) is allocated to the activities. As a second step, the cost must be allocated to Business Centres by Activity Driver.

For the activities like AP/AR processing choosing a driver is straightforward, however assigning a driver to more generic activities like preparation of Financial Accounts, Budgets and Annual Reports is a very challenging task. Does anyone know what Activity Drivers can be used in those cases other than equal allocation to Business Centres?

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanks a lot,
    Tatiana
    appsconsulting Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Hi Tatiana

You are right about applying Activity Drivers to those activities like finalizing accounts etc. Normally these activities are treated as 'business sustaining costs' and not taken to any function, product or customer. ABC is based on the concpet of 'cause and effect' and there is no such relationship.

Having said that there are some organizations that believe on 'fully allocated cost' (FAC), there they have to take each cent to certain cost object. In that case those costs can be taken with any logic to the cost centers as any base could be a good or bad base to take costs to the destination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Activity Based Costing Problem [ 7 Answers ]

Can you help me answer a homework problem in activity based costing.

How are cost drivers selected in activity-based costing systems? [ 2 Answers ]

As stated: How are cost drivers selected in activity-based costing systems?

What is an Activity Series? [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone explain what is an Activity Series? I looked at sites that is explaining it but I do not get it. Please try to make it simple as possible because I am really dumb. Thanks :)

View more questions Search