Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KIM BURGERS Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2016, 05:47 AM
    How to find stolen computer
    A MacBook computer was stolen from a friend. How would one go about finding it? It contains unprotected passwords and was used mainly for email. No banking or finances were on it. I know whenever I'd go to the library in an outlying town, and use their computers, my Google mail would notify me that my account was accessed on such and such day and it was a Mac computer or Windows system that was consistent with the system that library uses.
    If the thief, or the person it was sold to, were to access the internet, because every computer has its own ID, would it be possible to locate it that way, or does that only apply to Edward Snowden's stolen computer?
    Police are not in the 'find-and-return stolen property' business, but it would seem to me that a non-invasive (i.e. no search warrant required) check of the prime suspect's server address would show the computer IDs of all computers logged into that IP address.
    Could the rightful owner of this computer utilize email providers to track the location of where the stolen computer was used?
    If all the Mac numbers from the original purchase receipt were available, that would have to be helpful, no?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2016, 07:31 AM
    Unless she has it registered with Apple..(which could lock and wipe it remotely). or some other third party program (ESET offers this as part of their package for example) when it MIGHT be tracked by location when its in use, then she isn't getting it back. All provider records would require a seperate court order, on a provider by provider basis. Real life isn't like CSI or the Movies.

Issues of National security also are completely different than petty theft.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2016, 03:46 PM
    It is true that every computer has a unique hardware ID called a MAC address. However it is not that easy to search and determine when a particular MAC address is used. Google will identify the type of computer based on general info stored on the computer. More specific info more from cookies.

I'm not sure what you are referring to as the suspect's server address. Each computer that connects to the Net is assigned an IP address. The only entity that can tell who was assigned that IP is the ISP that person used to connect to the Net. And that requires a court order.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 5, 2016, 05:28 PM
    First go and change every password for every account and not allow them to use those.

No, unless you have a location program in it, it would not be able to be found

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm trying to find a print that I had years ago. It was stolen but I want to replace [ 0 Answers ]

Years ago I had a print that was amazing. It was stolen, while I was going through a divorce. Pretty much know who took it> Regardless, I believe the name of the painting was "And the Heavens Shall Suffer Violence". I have looked every now and then on line to see if I can find even a pic of it,...

I want to find a movie of stolen or destroyed painting whis is recreate by a painter [ 2 Answers ]

That I watched about 10 years back which keep on coming into my mind all the time but I just don't remember the title or the cast & crews, all I can remember is that it is a story of a painter , he recreates a stolen or destroyed very valuable painting by exactly similar to the original except he...

Boy enters fantasy world through tree to find stolen brother- book [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the name of a fantasy book that I read a few years ago, its about a boy who lives in England during one of the world wars. His mom dies and his dad re-marries and they have a kid, he resents the kid. He then enters a mythical world where all the fairy tales are somewhat askew and...

Located stolen computer on line - next steps? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I had a computer stolen, and a few weeks later, I was able to locate it online, and download information off it. I have detailed information of the person, and I have forwarded the information to Police. Unfortunately, the investigative offices shift ended Friday afternoon, just hours...

Purchased an item from salvation army to later find out it was stolen. [ 4 Answers ]

I live in NC and recently started selling items on eBay from thrift store purchases. About three months ago, I purchased a carpet cleaner the professional type. I posted it on eBay last week and once I did, I received an emailed from a sales manager from a corporation in WI claiming the item...

View more questions Search