Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seekingpeace21 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2016, 06:19 AM
    ETG TEST/Relapse
    I relapsed after 14 months sober. I drank 12 beers starting at 6pm Friday night. I believe I will have an ETG test tomorrow (Tuesday) at 11:00 am. I'm realitively healthy. Also, on a diuretic (no kidney problems). Female - average size and approximately 130 pounds. I'm off the pity pot now, went to AA. I am just wondering if anyone knows the odds of passing the test or if I should be preparing for jail.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2016, 06:55 AM
    If you have a long history of heavy drinking your odds of passing are significantly less than someone who didn't. If that diuretic isn't prescribed... it could increase a chance of a fail for dilution.

Oct 3, 2016, 07:42 AM
    No, I have been sober for quite awhile and my "drinking history" mainly consisted of binge drinking once or twice every few weeks. Also, the diuretic is prescribed by my physician. I am not trying to go in dilute or anything of that nature. I am just concerned as I have been sober for quite awhile and am worried. I know, call before you take the first drink. We can all come up with excuses to drink, therefore, I was just looking for a somewhat of the "odds" of passing versus failure. Haven't had much sleep. I only mentioned the diuretic as I didn't know if that would make a difference with the testing. The last time I drank was when I was arrested and the day after my arrest I had an ETG that actually came back clean and that had been after consuming about the same amount of beer. I'm just concerned and upset with myself.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    If you have a long history of heavy drinking your odds of passing are significantly less than someone who didn't. If that diuretic isn't prescribed... it could increase a chance of a fail for dilution.
    No, I have been sober for quite awhile and my "drinking history" mainly consisted of binge drinking once or twice every few weeks. Also, the diuretic is prescribed by my physician. I am not trying to go in dilute or anything of that nature. I am just concerned as I have been sober for quite awhile and am worried. I know, call before you take the first drink. We can all come up with excuses to drink, therefore, I was just looking for a somewhat of the "odds" of passing versus failure. Haven't had much sleep. I only mentioned the diuretic as I didn't know if that would make a difference with the testing. The last time I drank was when I was arrested and the day after my arrest I had an ETG that actually came back clean and that had been after consuming about the same amount of beer. I'm just concerned and upset with myself.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2016, 07:52 AM
    Even if you do fail, and I am not implying that at all, there is a process you go through that is laid out in an agreement YOU signed with the courts that ordered your testing. Read what YOU signed and tell me what it says. When did you take your last drink? That's when your 60/80 hour window to metabolize the alcohol naturally begins.

In addition working on your side is you have admitted to a problem and there is much strength in acknowledging it and taking steps to address that problem. I bet without a doubt there are many EXPERIENCED EXPERTS in those AA meetings who have been where you are and can guide you through the process of taking that next step.

Reach out to them, and don't squander that OPPORTUNITY for the right help, and support to deal with your FEAR of going to jail. Consider if you had acknowledged that fear before you downed that first beer you wouldn't be worried about an upcoming test because you would have been SOBER!

Regardless of whatever the test outcome is you must be WILLING to accept the consequences of your action whatever that maybe. So you may as well relax, until you indeed have the FACTS of what that outcome is. Easier said than done I know... been there done that... but your disease is a complex and difficult one to deal with in the first place. For many of us jail is a blessing if it starts us on a path of recovery, and a healthy healing from our disease.

Glad your fear got you to AA, hope you stay long enough to get the benefits it WILL bring you.

Oct 3, 2016, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Even if you do fail, and I am not implying that at all, there is a process you go through that is laid out in an agreement YOU signed with the courts that ordered your testing. Read what YOU signed and tell me what it says. When did you take your last drink? That's when your 60/80 hour window to metabolize the alcohol naturally begins.

In addition working on your side is you have admitted to a problem and there is much strength in acknowledging it and taking steps to address that problem. I bet without a doubt there are many EXPERIENCED EXPERTS in those AA meetings who have been where you are and can guide you through the process of taking that next step.

Reach out to them, and don't squander that OPPORTUNITY for the right help, and support to deal with your FEAR of going to jail. Consider if you had acknowledged that fear before you downed that first beer you wouldn't be worried about an upcoming test because you would have been SOBER!

Regardless of whatever the test outcome is you must be WILLING to accept the consequences of your action whatever that maybe. So you may as well relax, until you indeed have the FACTS of what that outcome is. Easier said than done I know... been there done that... but your disease is a complex and difficult one to deal with in the first place. For many of us jail is a blessing if it starts us on a path of recovery, and a healthy healing from our disease.

Glad your fear got you to AA, hope you stay long enough to get the benefits it WILL bring you.
    Yes, I know what I signed, believe me. My last drink was Friday at approximately 1:30 a.m. - I am to test Tuesday morning. I know I should have picked up the phone before the first drink. My Mother died and I had spent the last 4 1/2 days non-stop with her, no sleep, etc. made all arrangements alone. We all know this disease will give us any "excuse" to drink. I take full responsibility for not reaching out prior to that first drink. I should be surrounding myself with my support group and sponsor. It was a hard passing for her and I relapsed.

I guess I was also looking for some "help" here. I am more than willing to take my responsibility, I just wondered other people's outcomes and my "odds". I know what my odds are if I do this again.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Oct 3, 2016, 08:39 AM
    You're going to be right in the middle of the window of 60-80 hours but closer to the end. I think your chances are probably about 50/50 without knowing more of your detailed medical history. There are a bunch of factors that could work in your favour and an equally large amount of factors that will work against you.

It was irresponsible. You know this. You're getting help, and that is good. Not much more to say to be honest.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2016, 08:58 AM
    There are no odds, since all you have to do is do the math and add the hours from the last drink to the test. Seems to me you fall easily between the 60/80 accepted GENERAL thresh hold to pass a test. Especially given you have passed a test after a binge drinking episode before.

Sorry you won't get an iron clad guarantee or the odds because most of us know that bad stuff can happen to good people in any situation. Now if you want a cyber hug... <CYBER HUG> AND A GOOD LUCK or THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, you have mine.

Okay since you asked... the odds are 50/50 you will pass or fail! Feel better? Hope so, get some sleep.

I am sorry for your loss a most traumatic one for anybody. I hope you are not going through this alone or in isolation.

Oct 3, 2016, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    You're going to be right in the middle of the window of 60-80 hours but closer to the end. I think your chances are probably about 50/50 without knowing more of your detailed medical history. There are a bunch of factors that could work in your favour and an equally large amount of factors that will work against you.

It was irresponsible. You know this. You're getting help, and that is good. Not much more to say to be honest.
    Absolutely, correct. I was irresponsible. I fell back to a crutch - demon alcohol. I lost my last surviving parent. As any alcoholic knows and I stated we can all find a reason to drink. As far as my health - I take Glucophage for "female issues" as well as hormone replacement, hence the Glucophage and diuretic to counter-act the side effects of the HRT.

I appreciate your responding and your honesty.

Oct 3, 2016, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    There are no odds, since all you have to do is do the math and add the hours from the last drink to the test. Seems to me you fall easily between the 60/80 accepted GENERAL thresh hold to pass a test. Especially given you have passed a test after a binge drinking episode before.

Sorry you won't get an iron clad guarantee or the odds because most of us know that bad stuff can happen to good people in any situation. Now if you want a cyber hug... <CYBER HUG> AND A GOOD LUCK or THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS, you have mine.

Okay since you asked... the odds are 50/50 you will pass or fail! Feel better? Hope so, get some sleep.

I am sorry for your loss a most traumatic one for anybody. I hope you are not going through this alone or in isolation.
    I appreciate your hug and sympathies for my loss. Yes, I am alone. No other parent, no children of my own, no siblings. This is it. Just me. I know I have my AA family. I have been utilizing the telephone and at this point, like I said, I cannot sit on the pity pot for drinking, however I guess I am feeling very down and sad. As I stated above, I know my AA tools and did not utilize them. Believe me, if I could go back I would, wouldn't we all after a bad decision... I'm very sad and scared. Not just the drinking, the world itself. Maybe I am still beating myself up. I am sober today.

If I fail, I've left one big heaping mess.

Again, I appreciate your input. I'm scared all around, yet I will make it through this.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2016, 02:00 PM
    I have been sober for quite awhile and my "drinking history" mainly consisted of binge drinking once or twice every few weeks.
    "Sober quite awhile
    " and "binge drinking once or twice every few weeks" are hardly complimentary terms. I would say you have been sober only a couple of weeks. You have a serious Alcoholism problem and need professional help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 4, 2016, 01:03 PM
    I can't add to anything anyone else has said about the odds of passing or failing the test. I'm afraid that this is one of those times that you'll have to wait and see, and hope for the best. I will say that if you do fail I would let them know that you have been sober for over a year, you just lost your mom, and this was a slip up, a one time thing and that it won't happen again. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost both my parents 6 months apart in 2001. I am also an only child. I am lucky to have my husband and my kids, I don't know how I would have survived without them.

If you need to talk, to vent, or need a shoulder, I'm here to listen. I hope that the test goes well and that this slip up doesn't cost you too much.

Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    I have been sober for quite awhile and my "drinking history" mainly consisted of binge drinking once or twice every few weeks.
    "Sober quite awhile
    " and "binge drinking once or twice every few weeks" are hardly complimentary terms. I would say you have been sober only a couple of weeks. You have a serious Alcoholism problem and need professional help.
    Ma, she has been sober for a long time, this was a one time thing. The binge drinking was before she became sober.

Oct 15, 2016, 01:32 PM
    "Sober quite awhile
    I had been sober for 14 months and relapsed. I am not making excuses, I lost my mother - I have NO family. I have been routinely attending AA. I forthright CLAIMED my irresponsibility. I am not seeking SYMPATHY. I asked a question. I was not asking in an attempt to "cheat" the system, etc. Professional help, yes - I have it, thank you. Had you READ my thread I know I should have picked up a telephone before I took the first drink. Again, as my Sponsor told me - relapse is and can be part of recovery. Who are YOU to say I've only been sober for a few weeks. Can you see in my house?

Again, I came to ask a simple question, as stated above - I was not trying or seeking a way to "get around the system". Rather, I was asking for an opinion or someone's experience, therefore I could have a better handle on my personal matters prior to potential incarceration.

You must really fathom people who have the disease of alcoholism. At least, I admitted my mistake, irresponsibility, etc. For the record, I couldn't handle the pressure and went in the same day I posted this.

"Sober quite awhile
    I had been sober for 14 months and relapsed. I am not making excuses, I lost my mother - I have NO family. I have been routinely attending AA. I forthright CLAIMED my irresponsibility. I am not seeking SYMPATHY. I asked a question. I was not asking in an attempt to "cheat" the system, etc. Professional help, yes - I have it, thank you. Had you READ my thread I know I should have picked up a telephone before I took the first drink. Again, as my Sponsor told me - relapse is and can be part of recovery. Who are YOU to say I've only been sober for a few weeks. Can you see in my house?

Again, I came to ask a simple question, as stated above - I was not trying or seeking a way to "get around the system". Rather, I was asking for an opinion or someone's experience, therefore I could have a better handle on my personal matters prior to potential incarceration.

You must really fathom people who have the disease of alcoholism. At least, I admitted my mistake, irresponsibility, etc. For the record, I couldn't handle the pressure and went in the same day I posted this.

Oct 15, 2016, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alty View Post
    I can't add to anything anyone else has said about the odds of passing or failing the test. I'm afraid that this is one of those times that you'll have to wait and see, and hope for the best. I will say that if you do fail I would let them know that you have been sober for over a year, you just lost your mom, and this was a slip up, a one time thing and that it won't happen again. We're all human, we all make mistakes.

I am so very sorry for your loss. I lost both my parents 6 months apart in 2001. I am also an only child. I am lucky to have my husband and my kids, I don't know how I would have survived without them.

If you need to talk, to vent, or need a shoulder, I'm here to listen. I hope that the test goes well and that this slip up doesn't cost you too much.Ma, she has been sober for a long time, this was a one time thing. The binge drinking was before she became sober.
    Alty:

Thank you, so much for reading my post. I appreciate your response and "getting it". This isn't easy and as I decided to update where I am today, I'm grateful for your post as "MA's" post, I can only shake my head. I claimed my irresponsibility, etc.

My sympathies to you for your losses. Today and this week as been very tough, thought I would just get on and read my post as a "reminder" of what could have been a very awful outcome due to my drinking. Today is hard day. I've been to a meeting this morning and plan on attending this evening. Just a really crummy day, however today I do have gratitude for people as yourself for your kind words and understanding, my freedom, my sobriety and a roof over my head.

Just for today.

Thank you, again for your kind words. Hugs.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2016, 02:12 PM
    I realized, after reading your post again, that this was a recent relapse. I apologize for the misinterpretation and wish you luck on continuing improvement.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 15, 2016, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seekingpeace21 View Post
    Alty:

Thank you, so much for reading my post. I appreciate your response and "getting it". This isn't easy and as I decided to update where I am today, I'm grateful for your post as "MA's" post, I can only shake my head. I claimed my irresponsibility, etc.

My sympathies to you for your losses. Today and this week as been very tough, thought I would just get on and read my post as a "reminder" of what could have been a very awful outcome due to my drinking. Today is hard day. I've been to a meeting this morning and plan on attending this evening. Just a really crummy day, however today I do have gratitude for people as yourself for your kind words and understanding, my freedom, my sobriety and a roof over my head.

Just for today.

Thank you, again for your kind words. Hugs.
    Take one day at a time. You will have bad days, and that's okay, it's okay to cry, to rant, to scream, to be really mad that your mom was taken from you. I do promise you that it does get better, it really does. The pain never completely goes away, but you'll have less days of crying, and more days when you find yourself smiling over memories, or smiling because you're happy.

I would highly recommend talking to a grief counselor. There are also grief groups you can attend, they're a lot like AA, people that have been through what you're going through now, and can help by offering support and listening. Look for one in your area, it really does help. I don't know if I would have gotten through it without the help of counseling and other people that knew what I was dealing with.

I am hear if you need to talk. I mean that with all my heart.

Hugs right back at you, and stay strong. You're doing great!
    Artie62 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Oct 15, 2016, 10:32 PM
    Depends on your metabolism and body mass index. Seeing that beer has a pretty low alcohol content compared to hard liquor you may stand a chance. The bigger problem here is what is causing the anguish for you to drink. Until you find that out and deal with it , this problem may rear it's head again. Alcohol clearance can be a tricky thing. Four days should be about enough that you will possibly squeeze by. Good Luck.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Oct 25, 2016, 06:20 PM
    I'm often in the minority in my opinion. I ETG tested for over 2 years. I strongly believe that after 14 months sobriety even with that amount of alcohol, you will pass. I understand relapse. You are doing well taking responsibility. Keep coming back (to A.A.) and you'll make it. Don't beat yourself up, just keep doing the next right thing.

Good Luck to you, ~Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the saliva swab ETG alcohol test show back to 80 hours like the Urine ETG test ? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard when it's the oral swab it only tests back 12 to 24 hours for alcohol anyone know?

Will I pass my ETG test if I drank two 40z beers on Friday test is on Monday [ 2 Answers ]

I had 1 and 1/2 40 oz beers ( Thurs) finished at 2am Fri. Then drank the rest of the 1/2 40oz Friday finished at 4 pm.. Will I pass my EtG on Monday at 7pm?

Will I pass an EtG test if I had 6 beers Friday night and took a drug test Monday [ 0 Answers ]

Will I pass an ETG test that was sent to a lab , if I drank 6 beers Friday night till about 12am then took the EtG test Monday at about 10pm...

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

View more questions Search