Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarrenJackson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2016, 07:38 PM
    Find the scalar of a vector, and calculate another vector.
    Stuck on this problem for my class for a bit, I'm not sure exactly how to solve it. If someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

What I have so far

Given the points:
    A = ( 3, -4, 2)
    B = (-1, -3, 5)

and the vector:

n = 2i + 5j - k

Find the displacement vector of AB = (-4, 1, 3)

Calculate the dot product (scalar product) OA . N = -16

Let THETA be the angle between the vectors OA and n. THETA is greater than 90 degrees.

Now here is where I'm stuck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The vector OA is to be expressed as a sum OA = kn + b, where k is a scalar and b is a vector perpendicular to n. Determine the value of k in this expression.

Using your answer from the last question, calculate the vector b.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the answer is staring me in the face but I'm feeling very math-illiterate.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 8, 2016, 06:12 AM
    Here's a hint: given that vector b is perpendicular to vector n, their dot product must equal zero. If we let vector b = (x,y,z), then n dot b is 2x+5y-z = 0. That's one equation. You also have (3, - 4, 2) = k(2,5,-1) + (x,y,z), which gives you three more equations. Hence you now have 4 equations in 4 unknowns, which in this case aren't too difficult to solve. Post back with your answer and we'll check it for you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A vector quantity is described with both magnitude and direction an a scalar is not [ 3 Answers ]

Is it true that a vector quantity is described with both magnitude and direction an a scalar is not

Do you divide the given vector by the magnitude to find the unit vector? [ 1 Answers ]

The problem asks me to find a unit vector in the direction of the given vector. The problem is w=i-2j and another is w=2j.

Finding an angle give a vector and the magnitude of another vector. [ 3 Answers ]

On her way to grandmas, red ridding hood sat down her 1.2kg basket. A wolf came up beside her and began to pull on the basket with a force of 6.4N at an angle 25 degrees with respect to vertical. Red pulled back with force of 12 N. if the net force on the basket is straight up at what angle was...

View more questions Search