Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gretzky99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Craftsman Riding mower, no compression, leaks oil near starter
    Hi, I think my Craftsman riding mower (16.5HP electric start) has a blown head gasket or worse. The engine can be turned with no resistance (I don't have a compression tester but I can tell there's no compression). I notice that oil is leaking when the engine is turning over, right behind the starter on the side of the block. I was wondering if this is symptomatic of a blown head gasket? I can't tell if that is where the head mounts to the block, but it looks like there is a seam there.

Here's what happened: When I was mowing my grass on a 40degee incline the mower made a metallic sound and stalled. I pushed it to level ground and when I tried to start it, the electric starter clicked and couldn't turn the engine over. I checked the oil and it was a little low and dirty, so I changed it. After changing the oil, the starter still could not turn the engine over, so I pulled off the top cover and manually turned the crankshaft by holding the top cooling mesh by rotating it back and forth till it finally came free. It was stuck. Once free, the starter would turn the engine over - but it wouldn't start. It just cranks away. I can turn it by hand and it does not feel like there is any compression because the engine turns with no resistance. Then I noticed an oil leak on the side of the engine, right behind the starter. The oil leaks when I turn the engine over with the electric starter.

So my question is whether a blown head gasket would cause this kind of symptom? I guess it could be a busted shaft too, but the engine doesn't have any grinding or banging noise. Is there a pin or something like that? Is there any weblink to get a repair manual for cheap?I'm not too motivated to tear it apart unless the problem is something simple like a gasket. If the shaft is broken I suppose the fix is to replace the engine?

Thankfully this tractor was given to me by a friend who retired. It 'was' about 6yrs old (I'm not optimistic). I have real bad arthritis in my knees so I was really beginning to like the tractor. Had to use the push mower after the incident and now I'm sitting with Ice on my swollen knee.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who would care to give me some opinion on the problem. I think I'm on the right track but not an expert on small engines.
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Apr 15, 2007, 05:45 AM
    I would say definitely not the head gasket. Sounds a lot more like a broken connecting rod. The fact that it would not turn over initially until you rotated the shaft tells me there was a mechanically broken part. Manuals are available from the manufactures site of most engines. Not sure which one you have, but Briggs :Manuals, Parts Lists, & Wiring Diagrams - Briggs & Stratton
    Or Kohler:Service & Owners Manuals - Service & Support - Kohler Engines
    And Tecumseh:Tecumseh Power Company

Good Luck,
    Morrowrj
    gretzky99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Thanks for your reply and the links. I was thinking that I might pull the sparkplug today and then look into the head with a flashlight while rotating the engine by hand. If the piston is not moving I suppose this would confirm the theory of a broken rod?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 17, 2007, 01:00 PM
    Yes, the con rod usually comes through behind the starter. Getr a flash light and look close.

Don
    cowboy022403 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Yeah I had one do that. It slug a rod and broke through the crankcase. That probably where the oil is coming from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Riding Mower [ 6 Answers ]

I Have A Craftsman 11 Hp Riding Lawn Mower That Won't Even Crank.I Have A Good Battery Clean Posts,power To The Starter But When I Push Clutch In To Crank,nothing Happens.what Am I Doing Wrong?

Craftsman riding mower not getting fuel [ 5 Answers ]

I have a craftsman rider 10hp. I had it in for service last year & it was working perfectly. I used it 3-4 times last season & it wouldn't start anymore. It acts like it's not getting the fuel. Tries to start but just can't seem to turnover. I figured it was a clogged fuel line but when I...

New Craftsman Riding Mower [ 1 Answers ]

We just purchased a new Craftsman 26HP, 54" cut, riding mower. One of the front wheels does not point straight ahead, it is pointing inward. When we called the help desk, we were told it was engineered this way so that the mower would make tighter turns. Is this true? (The steering wheel is...

Craftsman 11hp riding mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have a friend who has an old Craftsman 11hp riding mower and is having some problems. The ignition switch was broken and has been started with a screwdriver until it finally broke. I got a replacement switch today and installed it and now as soon as it is put in the "on" position the engine...

Craftsman 14.5 hp riding lawn mower [ 3 Answers ]

I bought it used it seemed OK,but now I have loss of power.I NOW have a brand new battery.What can I do to the engine or carburator to fix problem?How do I properly adjust carb?Should I overhaul the engine?I haven't found a rebuild kit for my B&S engine(14.5) Any help would be great.Somone told me...

View more questions Search