Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Aug 8, 2016, 03:49 PM
    Residential Well Controller, Needed?
    My house was built in 1966 and has a well using a submersible pump. From day one the pump was simply wired with power going the pressure switch and then the switch wired to the pump. The few houses in the area that I was able to look are wired the same way. My understanding is that the controller saves some wear and tear on the pump. Is it worth installing one?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2016, 06:34 PM
    Assuming you are talking about something like this: Water Worker Digital Pressure Control for Well Systems-WWDPC - The Home Depot

I honestly don't know if it would be worth the investment. I'm not familiar with them. I don't see how it can go for a 10# differential rather than the usual 20# without doubling the pump cycles, and I wouldn't think that would be wise. I suppose some of the warnings would be nice as long as you check the box at least once a day, and I don't know of many people who do that.

Aug 9, 2016, 02:36 PM
    Jlis--Thanks for the reply. That's kind of what I was referring to w/o the pressure adjustment. Generic picture attached. This is from a website "Well pumps with a control box have start and run circuits. During start-up, the well pump control will send power to the well pump through the start circuit. Once the well pump reaches operational speed, the control box switches the electrical feed to the run circuit.

Seems confusing-if power to the pump to reach operational speed isn't it then pumping? Been this long w/o a controller and seems to work OK. How are the well pumps wired in your area?
    Attached Images

jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2016, 10:59 AM
    That's a different arrangement. Some sub pumps have the starter capacitor in the pump itself, while others have it located in a control box above ground. If yours is not above ground, then it is in the pump. That would rule out such a control box in your case. This pdf file gives you a little more info on page 4. The rest of the article is on well contamination, but page 4 will be helpful.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Wells/documents/pcb.pdf

Aug 10, 2016, 07:56 PM
    J... good info on the link especially about the older pumps. I found the owners manual (which I had buried away) for the pump and the controller is used for three wire pumps. Mine is two wire and is wired correctly as the capacitor is in the pump as you stated. Thanks...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2016, 08:16 PM
    I don't have a controller on my pump, 170 ft down in the GA mountains. Basically it's for motors that don't have a start/ run circuit built in them. Mine is 13 years old and has never missed a beat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Earthnet Controller & Network Controller - missing drivers [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get on the internet because my network controller and my ethernet controller have no drivers, therefore, no connection is made. I cannot update the drivers because the software can't be found in my computer and I can't go onto the internet to retrieve it with my laptop. Whenever I...

What is needed to remove the smell of sewer gas out of a residential bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

Thanks for your help. The smell has been a difficult one to remove from our bathroom. I'm not sure what else to do, I've tried pouring bleach in the drains and also just straight hot water.

Driver Needed for Multimedia Audio Controller [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have re-installed windows XP but I could not hear any sound. In the device manager there is a big yellow question mark with the Multimedia Audio controller that is telling me that there is no driver installed I am using a Pentium 4 machine. Need urgent help.

View more questions Search