Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    sksims's Avatar
    sksims Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 22, 2016, 09:26 AM
    Life estate
    Need a form to release my name from a life estate involving my mother and sister. I want to give them my part of the home when my mother decides to sell.
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jun 22, 2016, 01:41 PM
    I doubt if there is a stock form for this. First you need to understand the terms of the estate. It might involve a simple quit claim deed to transfer your interest to your mother and sister.

    In a life estate, the general terms are that the property is deeded to other parties with the current owner retaining the right to live in the property until they die or decide to vacate. So the property may have already been transferred to your name and your sister's. In that case, mom can't sell since she doesn't own it. However, the life estate may grant her the right to sell in which case ownership reverts to her and you needn't do anything.

    Bottom line is you need an attorney to review the life estate and let you know how to relinquish your share.
    AK lawyer's Avatar
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977

    Jun 23, 2016, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Bottom line is you need an attorney to review the life estate and let you know how to relinquish your share.
    Yes, it's always a good idea to run it by an attorney in your jurisdiction. But, as noted, a quitclaim deed from OP should do the trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life estate [ 2 Answers ]

My aunt was primary owner of our family house and under her came me then her brother. Another brother was granted life estate. Now my aunt passed and I took over the maintence for the house. If I were to buy her brother out of his share, what happens to her brother with the life estate? Can I make...

Life estate [ 0 Answers ]

OK guys Got to another question for you experts out there. I was asked this question and could not answer it. If a house is gifted to someone with living rights and the person who is gifting it to them has to go to a nursing home,doesn't the house have to be sold to pay for nursing home care?...

Life Estate [ 0 Answers ]

I am the remainder of my parents home. My Mother is the Life Estate Holder, She is in a nursing home and there is a good chance she will not be coming home. Does she have the rights to stop me from moving into the house? Currently the house has been put up for taxes and I need to move into the...

Life estate [ 1 Answers ]

Ok guys Can someone explain what a life estate is,how it works. I have heard people talk about it but am not sure what it is. If I have posted in the wrong area of this site please let me know. Thanks

What does life estate mean in NC [ 1 Answers ]

My parents deeded property to me with a life estate. My father died owing a mortgage. Does the remaining debt have to be paid if he owned no real estate at the time of death?

View more questions Search