Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    naldo210 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2016, 02:42 PM
    Why is my water heater discharge pipe plumbed to recirculate to the supply?
    I recently moved into a house with a 40 gallon gas water heater. The discharge pipe on the pressure relief valve is piped to recirculate to what I believe is the cold water supply to the water heater. There is a small cylindrical copper looking device that looks like it says "regulator" at a 90 bend in the pipe that returns the discharge to the supply.
    Why would this be plumbed this way?
    Is this setup safe?
    I've always seen discharge pipes that are open at the end, about 6" above the floor.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jun 10, 2016, 03:12 PM
    Can you post a picture of your situation ?

Yes, at least in my area, the T&P discharge pipe has to be terminated 6" above garage floor, or drip pan, or if installed elsewhere, has to be lead to the exterior, and again, terminated 6" above ground

Back to you

Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 15, 2016, 02:02 PM
    Post a picture... sound very dangerous to me!

Thanks...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water supply pipe sizes [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to replumb my old house using PEX . I want to be sure to use the proper size pipe all the way from the street to the hot water heater an to the rest of the house. I am thinking the easiest way to not worry about big pressure drops in the hot and cold lines is to use 3/4" everywhere.

Can you use stabaliser in a pool plumbed with copper pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Can you please tell me I have a pool with plumbing in cooper pipe. I want to know if it is safe to use stabaliser in it(cyanuric acid)?

Cutting a pre-plumbed Sewage Inlet Pipe [ 4 Answers ]

I am doing a basement remodel and I am just about to get to the bathroom portion. The bathroom area is pre-plumed and the sewage inlet for the tiolet currently sticks out of the cement by about a foot. My understanding is that I need to cut the pipe at or below the cement floor and then install a...

Leak from discharge pipe water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 13 year PRV50 water heater that just started leaking thorugh the disdharge pipe and is filling up a 5 gallon pail in about 12 hours. Is this worthwhile to repair or simply time to replace unit

One water supply, two pipe sizes [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to attach the LG all-in-one washer/condensation dryer to my bathroom water supply. The branch supply into the bathroom uses 3/4" pipe, but the flexible attachment for the sink is 3/8". Is there such a thing a pipe fitting attachment with two heads and a "ball valve", or something, so...

View more questions Search