Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Jun 4, 2016, 04:45 PM
    Cabinets: interior home improvement
    I don't own my apt It's an apt in a priv house with my own entrance.
    My landlord charges less but makes no improvements.

My kitchen cabinets are a mess. It's embarrassing: drips, etc. I tried to
    Use brillo but made things worse.

He's selling about eight months so I don't want to put in big bucks which
    My social sec would never cover. Is there any such product or such a
    Thing as a shortcut to fix over some of the cabinet door?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2016, 05:42 PM
    Since you don't know what will happen in 8 months, I'd tolerate them. Otherwise you need sandpaper, not steel wool, sand with 220-320 grit, cover with an eggshell alkyd paint, light beige or gray. Don't spend more than $30+/- for paint and $10 for other supplies. Look at OOPS paint at HD and Lowe's, that's how I get a lot of my paint.

Jun 4, 2016, 08:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Since you don't know what will happen in 8 months, I'd tolerate them. Otherwise you need sandpaper, not steel wool, sand with 220-320 grit, cover with an eggshell alkyd paint, light beige or gray. Don't spend more than $30+/- for paint and $10 for other supplies. Look at OOPS paint at HD and Lowe's, that's how I get a lot of my paint.
    They said I can't click helpful until
    I spread reputation. Sorry but don't understand any of that.
    But I do want to say thank you.. I have both a HD and a Lowe's within two miles.
    I hope I have the strength, but I'll give it the old Brooklyn try.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 5, 2016, 05:24 AM
    I remember you asking about this before. Last September, to be exact. You got some good suggestions then.
    I agree that it's just not worth it. It's not your concern to make the house look good for selling.
    If I were you, I would make sure to have a written agreement with the owner about how often your part of the house can be shown, and what hours, and with how much notice.
    Each state has laws about this too, but usually the wording is just 'reasonable amount' and you have to work out the details.
    I'd put a notice on the door too, for all the MLS agents who don't bother to find out.

Jun 5, 2016, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I remember you asking about this before. Last September, to be exact. You got some good suggestions then.
    I agree that it's just not worth it. It's not your concern to make the house look good for selling.
    If I were you, I would make sure to have a written agreement with the owner about how often your part of the house can be shown, and what hours, and with how much notice.
    Each state has laws about this too, but usually the wording is just 'reasonable amount' and you have to work out the details.
    I'd put a notice on the door too, for all the MLS agents who don't bother to find out.
    Really I didn't know that. I thought because it was his house and I had
    No lease he could do as he pleases. I asked him for advanced notice and I hope
    He'll give at least three months because NY has become so expensive, in every
    One of the five boros... the more I look, the more disturbed I get. Thank you
    Once again. I will follow through on all of this.
    current pert

Jun 5, 2016, 07:01 AM
    He only has to give you 30 days to vacate.
    Find out if he wants you out in 8 months or if he plans to put the house up for sale with you in it.
    If he likes the income and wants the rent right up til the day it sells, negotiate an even smaller rent for letting people troop through your place.
    I for one would rather leave first.
    Actually you have been given notice, right? If he said 8 months, move this summer or fall at the latest.
    Is there another area you can live around any people you know, that is not in any of the boroughs?
    Start connecting on Facebook, and if you don't have an account, open one!
    Yes, it's disturbing to move, to have to move especially... the sooner you get out the better.
    Since you pay a smallish rent, maybe consider looking for a roommate or 2.
    It is increasingly rare to find a cheap rent anywhere.
    If you are over 50, it isn't too soon to start looking into senior housing, even if you aren't eligible by age yet.

Jun 5, 2016, 07:38 AM
    He only has to give you 30 days to vacate.
    Find out if he wants you out in 8 months or if he plans to put the house up for sale with you in it.
    If he likes the income and wants the rent right up til the day it sells, negotiate an even smaller rent for letting people troop through your place.
    I for one would rather leave first.
    Actually you have been given notice, right? If he said 8 months, move this summer or fall at the latest.
    Is there another area you can live around any people you know, that is not in any of the boroughs?
    Start connecting on Facebook, and if you don't have an account, open one!
    Yes, it's disturbing to move, to have to move especially... the sooner you get out the better.
    Since you pay a smallish rent, maybe consider looking for a roommate or 2.
    It is increasingly rare to find a cheap rent anywhere.
    If you are over 50, it isn't too soon to start looking into senior housing, even if you aren't eligible by age yet.
    I already live with someone and we split all expenses... over 50, how about over 70! What I keep hoping is that he sells with the new owner keeping us, even if the rent goes up which it certainly will.
    I'm stubborn... the idea of living with all seniors does not appeal to me. I love
    Diversity in all ways. I don't want to go too far out of the boroughs because of
    Us having all our doctor's and hospitals in Manhattan. I didn't realize he's only
    Obligated to give 30 days notice but we have a reasonably good relationship
    And I don't believe he'd that to me. He's over 80 and his daughter who is the
    Trustee knows we look out for him... though he's an amazing active man who
    Is taking three college courses.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 5, 2016, 07:45 AM
    If you want the new owner to keep you, you have to get an ironclad lease or the new owner is not obligated to honor the agreement you currently have.

Jun 5, 2016, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    If you want the new owner to keep you, you have to get an ironclad lease or the new owner is not obligated to honor the agreement you currently have.
    My landlord is very cheap in many ways. Don't think he
    Would pass up a sale if the offer was very good. I don't have a lease now... if I
    Ask for one, I'm scared he'll take the opportunity to raise the rent.
    current pert

Jun 5, 2016, 09:27 AM
    You have a lot of worries, understandably, but you are making a huge mistake by 'hoping' for anything. The odds are not good that the new owner will keep you, even at higher rent.
    Plenty of diversity in senior housing! Not everyone is shuffling along with a walker and watching soaps. It's what you make of it. If you like a sip of wine while telling dirty jokes and playing penny poker, you'll find like minded folks soon enough.
    But that's beside the point - if you are a senior living on SS, even with a roomie, you have lost a heck of a lot of options.
    Start the application NOW, both of you, even if you never use it, because the waiting lists are loooong.
    "Don't make decisions by default." Don't let decisions be decided for you. Have CHOICES.

Oh, and your landlord isn't going to give you a lease. Buyers don't buy houses as much when tenants have leases. And buyers usually don't even want to buy with any tenants still in the house, period! SO START NOW. You want to be looking in wind and snow and freezing cold?

Jun 5, 2016, 10:19 AM
    You have a lot of worries, understandably, but you are making a huge mistake by 'hoping' for anything. The odds are not good that the new owner will keep you, even at higher rent.
    Plenty of diversity in senior housing! Not everyone is shuffling along with a walker and watching soaps. It's what you make of it. If you like a sip of wine while telling dirty jokes and playing penny poker, you'll find like minded folks soon enough.
    But that's beside the point - if you are a senior living on SS, even with a roomie, you have lost a heck of a lot of options.
    Start the application NOW, both of you, even if you never use it, because the waiting lists are loooong.
    "Don't make decisions by default." Don't let decisions be decided for you. Have CHOICES.

Oh, and your landlord isn't going to give you a lease. Buyers don't buy houses as much when tenants have leases. And buyers usually don't even want to buy with any tenants still in the house, period! SO START NOW. You want to be looking in wind and snow and freezing cold?
    We have been looking and actually went to see a place but it def wasn't a good choice. Telling jokes or cards, etc not my cup of tea. The only sr communities
    I would consider would have to be gay friendly and most are not and I would
    Not want to be where they spend their time talking about their grandkids, etc.
    I guess you're right re the new owners not wanting a tenant. I've no
    Experience with this... but we are looking... don't know where you are
    Located but if you're not a New Yorker, your head would spin at the asking
    Prices.
    current pert

Jun 5, 2016, 10:25 AM
    I'm 110 miles north of you, extremely rural. Another planet.
    Diverse in every way, I think.
    I do know what it costs to live anywhere around NYC, but I haven't lived there since 1965, when anything in Manhattan below Houston (now SoHo) was super cheap. My window looked out on a bocce court next to an Italian social club. Most people had never been off a 5 block area in their lives, and had never even heard of Central Park.

Jun 5, 2016, 06:17 PM
    I'm 110 miles north of you, extremely rural. Another planet.
    Diverse in every way, I think.
    I do know what it costs to live anywhere around NYC, but I haven't lived there since 1965, when anything in Manhattan below Houston (now SoHo) was super cheap. My window looked out on a bocce court next to an Italian social club. Most people had never been off a 5 block area in their lives, and had never even heard of Central Park.
    Yes, I too lived in Manhattan both in the west
    village on Leroy and on the upper west side. Everything was affordable.
    I'm afraid I could not handle rural... nice for a while (Catskills or Berkshires)
    But then back to my roots!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are there any programs to aid the disabled with interior home improvement [ 7 Answers ]

I am a 27 yr old man who was paralyzed in a car crash. I live with my parents and my three children. I can't get into our bathroom in my wheelchair because the door isn't wide enough. My parents have to pick me up and carry me to the bath tub. The house is paid for and in my fathers name but I only...

Do I suppose to be charged for cabinets that are a capital improvement [ 2 Answers ]

Am I suppose to pay sales tax on capital improvements on my home in NY

Interior Home Improvement [ 3 Answers ]

My contractor wants to install Laminate flooring in my kitchen and Laudry, but what happens if there is a leak and it gets wet?

Interior home improvement [ 4 Answers ]

How high should a chair rail go on a wall when it is in a living room?

View more questions Search