Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulo200040 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2016, 06:24 AM
    Do you think I should have to pay parents all the rent when I have been away on vacat
    I live with parents and pay 220 each month. I have just been on holiday for 20 days in another country and
    So I gave them 150.. they want all of it and argue and argue. I have not been here and used and food or rent or
    Electricity... they think I am paying for the room only. I gave them 150 as I have said you didn't need to buy any
    Food so you must have saved money. Plus I have not used any water. Electric... they say the food still came to the
    Same... so I tell them well you must have ate my food then. They can't see that they are being unreasonable
    What are your views on it please? Also I pay the internet of 20 each month and have done for years... they
    Happily use my internet here when I am not here and
    Pay none of that... they are all about taking and not giving. I don't believe one should pay for things they do
    Not use.
    And in the past I was away for nearly a month, and in fact have been away more than 10 times and paid
    Them the money on returning, so they have in fact had thousands of free money off me over the years...
    Now I am putting my foot down thought as I am saving money to emigrate in the future to be with my
    Girl so money is important to me to save. What do you think? I wonder what a court would say from a
    Legal standpoint also, surely you should not pay for things you do not use.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Apr 17, 2016, 06:30 AM
    I guess you paid them 220 dollar since birth, right? If so I agree with you, they should cut you a break. Where else could
    you live as cheaply? Did they rent your spot out, while you were gone, or did they save it for you? That is Room and Board
    good deal for $220 a month. You say, "Now I am putting my foot down" instead put the money down. When you really grow up and move away from home, you will find that you will have to pay for a lot of thing you did not use.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 06:32 AM
    Yes, you pay them the amount agreed upon. They are not only your parents, but your landlords as well. You couldn't get away with that if you are renting from a stranger.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2016, 06:51 AM
    You have an agreement to pay a monthly amount. Unless the agreement is specifically for room AND board, then you pay what was agreed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 06:58 AM
    The rent you agreed on is what you pay, whether you are there or not. You should have talked to them before you went on holiday, rather than decide the matter on your own when you came back. You live in their house, and you all benefit as a family from each other, but these are your parents for gosh sake who should have earned your respect for years of responsibly raising YOU, and NOT kicking your arse out to fend for yourself in the real world when you started earning money.

LOL, I doubt you would tell a REAL landlord that crap about not paying what you didn't use because you went on vacation. Why would you even think you could pull that on your parents? From a pure legal standpoint you owe the rent in full, because that was the agreement, and if you want that agreement changed to reflect what you bring to the household in a more fair way then you negotiate that before you make changes.

You are in my mind selfishly, and unfairly taking advantage of your parents knowing good and darn well a real landlord would throw you out for breaking your word, AND breaching your contract. They are not responsible for how you manage your money, what you do with it, like saving or taking a vacation, and it's unreasonable to me that you expect them to be. Legally,or morally.

So pay up and apologize for the disrespect, and be grateful they have not just evicted you on those grounds alone. LOL, you never know when you may have to ask them for help in the future, so do the right thing by them now. After all you didn't give them a chance to work with you before you went on vacation, so it was just wrong to lay this in their lap after the fact.

Pay up, and reap the rewards of being a good son. Maybe you get a break NEXT month so you can move IF you ask respectfully!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2016, 07:04 AM
    Unless the 220 was broken down, and agreed upon from the start, for example, you would pay 150 for rent, 25 towards water used, 50 towards electric used, etc. then the 220 is what you pay. I am guessing that you are of legal age where you live, so realistically, your parents don't have to pay for anything for you. You certainly wouldn't be able to live on your own for 220 a month.

After everything your parents have done for you over the years you are really going to quibble over this? Pay your agreed upon amount.

The time to decide, with your parents, if any changes will be made and what will be paid while you are on vacation was BEFORE you left. You don't get to decide what you will and won't pay for after the fact. Keep that in mind the next time you plan a vacation.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 01:18 PM
    I'd love to know how old you are. $220 a month is a deal. Try finding an apartment, paying all utilities, food, insurance, etc. for that price. You seem upset about many things, so why not move out? If our tenants don't pay their rent, we evict them, period. If they go on vacation, lucky them. They still owe us full rent and have to pay their utilities, or they will be shut off by the providers.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 17, 2016, 02:42 PM
    WOW. I mean, WOW!
    'they think I am paying for the room only.' You don't get to do the thinking - it's their house. If they say you are paying for rent only, then you pay 220/mo no matter if you are there or not. I pay insurance on my car even when I don't drive. I could go on all day. I wonder if they have a mortgage... bet they do, given how young you are. They have fixed expenses every month. Ask them and tell us.
    Plus you have the logic backwards. So you eat their food, do you? Then they are GIVING you that food. You don't get to eat for free and then decide that it's part of the rent!!!

I can't wait til you are on your own. Boy are you going to see what it really costs when not under daddy and mommy's roof, waaaahhhh.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 17, 2016, 04:35 PM
    Moved to Real Estate Law since this is about a Landlord/Tennant relationship not a Family Law issue.

For legal advice, we need your general location because laws vary by state, country, etc.

What is your agreement with your landlords?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2016, 07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo200040 View Post
    I live with parents and pay 220 each month. I have just been on holiday for 20 days in another country and
    So I gave them 150.. they want all of it and argue and argue. I have not been here and used and food or rent or
    Electricity... they think I am paying for the room only. I gave them 150 as I have said you didn't need to buy any
    Food so you must have saved money. Plus I have not used any water. Electric... they say the food still came to the
    Same... so I tell them well you must have ate my food then. They can't see that they are being unreasonable
    What are your views on it please? Also I pay the internet of 20 each month and have done for years... they
    Happily use my internet here when I am not here and
    Pay none of that... they are all about taking and not giving. I don't believe one should pay for things they do
    Not use.
    And in the past I was away for nearly a month, and in fact have been away more than 10 times and paid
    Them the money on returning, so they have in fact had thousands of free money off me over the years...
    Now I am putting my foot down thought as I am saving money to emigrate in the future to be with my
    Girl so money is important to me to save. What do you think? I wonder what a court would say from a
    Legal standpoint also, surely you should not pay for things you do not use.
    You believe wrong.

Being on vacation doesn't exempt you from rent or utility obligations. When its split... you still pay your split, eventually THEY go someplace and don't expect YOU to pay everything. That's how it always was when I had roommates and even when I rented out a room in my apartment to someone else.

Seriously... you have a lot of growing up to do. And as was mentioned... you are in for a real shock when you move out of mommy and daddy's house. Do that on your own and you will find yourself served with a pay or quit notice and likely a notice of eviction. You will NEVER have it easier than you have it now with your parents.

Unless you have something in writing exempting you from paying your part when you are on vacation...(which I find impossible anyone would ever do) then you owe it. Just pay up. If you could afford a vacation, then you can afford to pay your bills.

Be glad they don't kick you out to fend for yourself.

If you are an adult..they are under no obligation to let you live with them, paying or not.

You are going to find its a LOT more expensive to live on your own than you are paying now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a default judgement for non payment of rent in time, but I did pay the rent. [ 1 Answers ]

I got a default judgement for non payment of rent in time,but i did pay the rent , i paid the rent the same time date, the notice is dated, but i did not received the letter until two days later. Thank you, tenant

When sharing rent is one liable to pay rent if not giving notice to the other? [ 1 Answers ]

When sharing rent with a friend, if she happens to move out 6 days before rent is due and doesn't notify the one she's living with of this, is she responsible for her half of the rent payment? When there is suppose to be a months notice to the landlord on moving. Which was not given.

Does 3 day Pay rent or quit notice include only rent? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My tenant paid $500 to get into my house (California). He was supposed to pay $3300 ($1800 rent + $2000 deposit) by 4th June. This was stated in contract. Instead he paid $1000 on 06/06. He deposited in my bank account. So if I want to give him a 3day pay rent or quit notice, should I...

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

View more questions Search