Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jshaw40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2016, 11:00 AM
    Gifting Stock.
    If I gift $10,000 of a stock to a grandchild, will it pass at present value... and will I be able to avoid paying capitail gains as I would if I cashed the stock to give cash?Would the grandchild's tax basis at a later date be this present amount?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2016, 11:53 AM
    When stock is passed to a grand-child (or any else) as a gift, it retains the same basis as the original owner.

The only time the value steps up to current FMV is if the stock is received as an inheritance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money gifting [ 3 Answers ]

If I give my 5 kids, $10,000 each in a mutual fund for xmass before the end of this year, 2014, is there any federal or Maryland tax consequences on the principal, to them or me, other them what it may earn by the end of the year? If they cash it in, in 2015 , any tax consequences on the...

Gifting Property [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. My parents plan on gifting and instead of $ would like to gift the max amount in property, 24K worth or 12K from each parent. We assume that the 24K max applies to gifting property as well as gifting $. Now the property they plan on gifting is not in their name. My mother is among many in a...

Gifting of house [ 6 Answers ]

OK here's the question let me see if I can word this right. My sister's inlaw's want to gift her and her huband their house with them as living rights. My sister has her own home so what does this mean as they have no desire to move my sister says she is unsure what they are getting at she thinks...

Gifting Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a home that is valued in the 300K range but is only listed at 250K because the owner is looking to unload it. I am doing a Stated/Stated loan that requires 5% down and I'm unable to go that route at the moment. I spoke to the agent that us selling the house and they...

View more questions Search