Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lisachu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2016, 02:17 AM
    H visa gift tax question
    I'm on a H4 visa right now. My parents wire transferred me over $100k in 2015 to invest real estate. I filed form 3520 for it. We are going to do the purchase soon. The question is if the real estate is to be put under my parents names, do I owe the gift tax since I pay for it? Is there any way to return the money to my parents without the tax since it really doesn't make sense.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 23, 2016, 07:27 AM
    If you reported the $100K transfer as a gift on the Form 3520, amend the Form 3520 to show the money for what it is: a business investment that you are managing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B - Gift Tax Question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I sent my parents (father's account) around 50K in 2011. I am trying to file the gift tax return and I have filed for an extension. I am currently on H1B. I was thinking that I don't owe any tax as this is well below the lifetime exemption. But, I am little confused now as I am not sure if I...

Foreign SSN holder as gift donor tax question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently a H1B work permit holder in the States, and I'm looking into buying a house. My parents are not US citizens, and not resident of the States, and they are living in a my home country. However, they do hold SSN (acquired >10 years ago when they worked temporarily in the States)....

L1 visa tax question [ 1 Answers ]

In the year 2010, I lived in India from Jan to April & moved to US in May. I am on a L1 visa. I spent more than 183 days in 2010 in the US, hence would be filing 1040. For the period Jan to March 2010, I have already filed taxes in India. For April 2010, I had some India income. I also...

L1 visa tax question? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Last year (2009) I spent 193 days in US (+17 in commute) on L1 visa while being on a Canadian payroll. All my 2009 income is from Canada. My wife is a student on F1 visa. She will be filing US taxes as a non-resident alien. Do I need to file US taxes? I talked to IRS agent and...

H4 visa tax question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1-B visa since 2003 and got married in middle of dec 2006. My wife is on H4 and accompanied me to the US at the end of December 2006. I want to know what tax benefits can I get after getting married.. I am a novice about taxes a little help would be appreciated? Can I...

View more questions Search