Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelasjy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2016, 10:00 PM
    Us-china treaty for h1b
    Hi,
    I was on OPT earlier this year and change to H1b after Oct. Can I still use the US-CHINA treaty for my tax return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2016, 10:24 PM
    Yes.

If you are single, you will still file Forms 1040NR-EZ and 8843 ONE LAST TIME, as you have not yet met the Substantial Presence Test, and you can claim the $5,000 China treaty exemption on that form.

If you are married, you can file jointly and claim the exemption as a NEGATIVE number on Line #21 of Form 1040, but the return will have to be mailed, because Form 8833 must be added to explain the treaty exemption.

In either case, 2015 will be the LAST year you can claim the $5,000 treaty exemption.

If you need professional help filing, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US-China Tax Treaty [ 7 Answers ]

I came to the United States in Aug. 2007 to attend undergraduate college under F1 and graduated in May 2011. After using OPT for 3 months, I changed my visa to H1B at Oct. 1st, 2011. Because I was only under H1B for three months, I filed my federal tax return as a Non-resident alien last year...

Individual Switches from F1 to H1B Status (China Treaty and Tax Treatment) [ 0 Answers ]

I volunteer as part of a low income tax clinic at my school, and I'm doing research for an international tax issue. If an individual was on an F-1 Visa for the first portion of the year, and had Code 19 Income. The individual is from China. During the year, they switched to H-1B status. They...

Us-china treaty article 19 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tax experts, I was a graduate students in USA with F1 visa for 4 years. After graduating, I went back to China. I've been in China for almost one year. This summer I came to USA as a visiting scholar to do some research for 4 months. The lady in payroll department told me that I can't...

Us-china treaty article 19 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Tax Experts, I am a Chinese. I came to US on 5th April 2010 on J-1 visa. Last year, I spent 4 months in China and 8 months in Japan. Our Foreign National Tax Technician told me that I cannot benefit from tax treaty between US and China, because I stayed the major of last year in Japan. She also...

H1B 3-yrs US-China tax treaty issue [ 1 Answers ]

Dear help desk staff: I have a question about US-China tax treaty. Is it necessary for a researcher (H1B holder) who is a Chinese citizen to live in China right before coming to US to be eligible to claiming the 3 years US-China tax treaty of exemption from income tax? Many thanks!

View more questions Search