Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lalji Posts: 81, Reputation: 2

Mar 10, 2016, 06:19 PM
    Leaving US in March this year
    Atlanta tax expert,

I plan on permanently leaving US this month. Would appreciate if you could respond to my questions below. Thanks.

1)Can I file form 1040 in 2016 and in 2017?
    2)I am from India. If I need to file 1040-NR next year am I eligible to claim standard deduction and exemption for dependents?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 06:42 PM
    1) Yes for 2016, because your default Residency Termination date is 31 December 2016. You will have to declare ALL world-wide income and claim the Foreign Tax credit (Form 1116) for taxes paid to India.

No for 2017, unless you are a green card holder or U.S. citizen, because you will have become a non-resident alien.

2) No on the standard deduction and claiming dependent exemptions. That applies only if you are on a J-1 or F-1 visa while present INSIDE the U.S.

Mar 10, 2016, 07:19 PM
    So, is it correct that in 2017 I get no standard deduction and only one exemption?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 10, 2016, 08:11 PM
    Yes, but if you are in India for all of 2017, WHY would you file?

Mar 13, 2016, 05:52 PM
    I am considering if I should do a 401K withdrawal either this year or next year?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 05:58 PM
    You should wait until you return to India if you do the withdrawal. That way, no STATE income taxes will be due.

Better yet, roll the money over into a IRA and manage it from India using the Internet.

Mar 13, 2016, 06:25 PM
    Are there any state taxes if I make a 401K withdrawal? I currently live in Illinois?
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 13, 2016, 07:27 PM
    Yes. If you make the withdrawal while living in Illinois, the state of Illinois considers it Illinois-based income and will tax it accordingly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had sex march 12 and march 18. My due date is dec 9, when did I conceive? [ 2 Answers ]

I had sex with my boyfriend of 8 years, from the 27th of feb and 28 and again on March 12... And my original due date is the 10th.. I had started seeing a different Ob and they said Dec 9th... I had seen somebody that I knew fro along time ago and I sex with that person on the 18 of march.. I...

Should a one-year lease dated March 27th end on March 31st? [ 5 Answers ]

The apartment is a Tax Credit Sec. 42 apartment and my mom and I are approved Tax Credit Tenants. The owner/manager has been trying to get rid of my mom and me for months... probably even before we moved in. Two months after move-in, I was asked to swing by the office to sign a TIC. (Whaa? I...

Complete 3 year management degree ( accounting ) & got TR until march 2011. Now I want [ 2 Answers ]

Complete 3 year management degree ( accounting ) & got TR until march 2011. Now I want to apply for PR under new regulations. Assist me

Year of leaving the you.S. [ 5 Answers ]

1) If you leave the U.S. for your home country in March 2010, does a single person Have to file dual status return for 2010? If he meets the substantial presence test for 2010 would he file 1040 as primary return with 1040NR statement, even though he was a non-resident at the end of the year? ...

View more questions Search