Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 7, 2016, 06:15 AM
    Green Card interfere with Social Security
    I had a meeting with the PSB (immigration police) here in China this week.
    They are proposing new rules on the Chinese "Green Card". So they visited our university and meet with 4 of us, they believe may fall under the new rules (not yet in effect)
    1. have PhD and working as Associate Professor or Professor
    2. living in China for 5 years
    (being married to a Chinese national also a benefit.

    They are trying to get a project to see how it would make changes to get more foreigners with Green cards in China. Currently there are only about 5000 in all of China.

    Currently I live here on a Residence Permit, which I renew yearly. But with a Green Card it would be good forever and not have to be renewed.

    Does anyone know, if you get a Green Card from another country, if that would cause issues collecting social security retirement?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,297, Reputation: 10854

    Mar 7, 2016, 07:46 AM
    It should not have any bearing on your already earned benefits, but you can check this site and be guided through the process, and get your questions answered.

    And go here,

    And here,
    lawanwadee's Avatar
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

    May 22, 2016, 11:17 AM
    No, you will not lose SS benefits as long as you file tax return and report your income every year. Income earned overseas will not be taxed in US, you already know that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've lost my green card and social security number [ 1 Answers ]

I've lost my green card and social security number could I still go to Mexico could I still go this December and come back without it.

Names don't match on social security and green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi al... I recently got my green card and when I see the name there is this diffrence in that my middle name was not written fully on my green card but it is fully written on my social security number... like for e.g.. Henan D. gormon on my green card and henan delen gormon on my social

Social security card [ 1 Answers ]

1. A person who cannot write his or her name and can only sign the application with an x needs to have __ witnesses, who need to __________. 2. what type of proof is required for a duplicate card? 3. acceptable documents for proof of identity include? I need 10 documents. 4. unacceptable...

View more questions Search