Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pandemonium Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2016, 05:09 PM
    Taxes on inherited 401K
    I inherited a 401K account worth $2500 after my son's death. Federal and state taxes were deducted before payment. I'm not clear whether these are taxes I'm liable for on the amount, although I am 76, retired and living on my Social Security and don't have sufficient income to be paying taxes currently? Or are the taxes based on his income and part of his estate, to be reported on his 2016 tax return?
    If the taxes are for my "benefit," should I be filing a return in order to get a refund of the amount withheld?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2016, 09:09 PM
    Sorry about the death of your son!

You should get a Form 1099-R for the IRA distribution. If the Form 1099-R has YOUR SSN on it, then the distribution is on YOUR tax return. If it has a "4" code in Box 7 of the Form 1099-R, you are liable only for the income taxes and NOT a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

As to whether you need to file a return, I would think YES unless the withholding exactly matches the tax liability, which is unlikely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes owed on inherited home sold by land contract. Do I pay taxes on interest. [ 1 Answers ]

I am selling a inherited home by land contract. Do I pay taxes on interest. No gain on value of house

401k inherited as non resident? [ 1 Answers ]

My sister recently died. She had worked in US for past 9 years.I was the named beneficiary of her K401 currently valued at $46000 I am a UK citizen in living in the UK.What are my options? Should I take the cash? Will I be liable for tax.

We inherited a house and 401K each worth 100.000 dollars [ 1 Answers ]

My mother passed away a week ago and left my sister and I benifishery of her 401K, she also has a house that is paid off, but never made a will, we are her only survivors, My sister and I have decided that I keep the house and she will keep the 401k money. Do we have to pay taxes on the house and...

What taxes on inherited property at $17,000 value. Eight of us inherited it in Ga. [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom passed away and left her home and land to 8 of us. We sold it to one sister for the value of $ 17,000. Our Lawyer was of no help to us. What kind of taxes are we responsible for? This is in Georgia. Our Dad passed away in 2006. Mom passed in Aug. of 2009.

Ex wife inherited 401K laws [ 1 Answers ]

401K funds acquired in a divorce have very special rules part of which are under inherited 401K but some are differenat; where do I find them in English not IRS technical language? Or at least the tax free college expense deductions. Frustrated Google searcher:eek:... Thank you.

View more questions Search