Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chasesdad Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2016, 07:02 AM
    16 y/o american eskimo dog not eating 2 days can't use hind legs lethargic hasn't poo
    Good Day, Please excuse my first time ignorance to this site as I'm frantic about my pet and will learn more about this site.
    My 16 y/o American Eskimo has been losing mobility in his hind legs for 2 years but with the help of very good supplements and exercise he improved greatly, However, over the past month he has lost mobility and 3 weeks ago his vet wanted to schedule X-rays to determine if it's neurotically, we were suppose to go yesterday but the Mayor enforced NO DRIVING AFTER 2:00 P.M because of the blizzard and everything is closed down. Including the animal emergency rooms'

He has not eaten for 2 days and drinks very little water which he normally drinks quite a bit. I've been using my fingers and gently placing water in his mouth. He can't seem to chew even his vitamin which he think's is a treat and loves. His gums are pink but there is horrible rancid odor on his breath.
    He tries to walk to do his usual morning routine through the house but 4 times I've woken from sleep to see him laying on floor unable to move, his hind legs cross like the letter X and his paws are folded over.

He has not defecated in 2 days and tried to make it to his wee wee pad but ended up urinating on himself.
    He normally urinates several times a day, he doesn't seem to care about going out, He wakes me every morning come rain,snow or sun at 4:30 AM for his walk . I've thought about given him milk of magnesia to help him defecate but do not know if that would do more harm, I am looking up how to make my own electrolytes to add water for him as I'm certain he is dehydrated at this point.
    I've carried him over and held him for support but he will not make any movement's and legs shake terribly.

He's vomited 3 times a very dark yellow , no blood or foam. I thought I was going to lose him in the night and gently held him in my arms and moved him around when he alerted me that he wanted to be moved for comfort. He is not whimpering or crying which he was doing quite a bit last week, he is lethargic but knows that I am here by his side, " he sleeps on my bed with me " He always barks when I leave the room and he hasn't done it in 3 days. He look's into my eyes and then gently falls back to sleep,

My heart is aching for him as GOD knows I would do anything in this world for him and cost is of no matter to me if it means helping him. I feel he need's to be put to rest " I cry as I type this " however, again, due to the snowstorm nothing is open for a vet to look at him . Of course I want to be told that he can be saved but again, no place to take him. All I can do is keep the humidifier on keep him warm and as comfortable as possible, I fear that he is suffering and there is nothing I can do for him.

Can you shed any in site and or suggestions please?
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 24, 2016, 09:43 AM
    Hello

Unfortunately this does sound like what happened to my Dog at her Senior Age before we had to put her down.

My Dog had Arthritis in both back legs which saw her lose mobility in the hind / back legs causing her to pee herself due to not being able to get up ( Urinary incontinence ). Though there were a few other things.

She was 17 and 2-3 months old if I remember.

Due to your dogs old age it could also be some form of Cancer.

There could be some Dental disease due to the bad horrible rancid odor on his breath.

Anyway due to age and the possibility the dog could be in pain, the best and humane thing to do would be to Put the Dog down.

As I have calculated your dog in human years ( If he was human ) is 95 years old and like I said considered a Senior Dog.

You can spend all you want , though if it's going to prolong a dog that's in pain , there is no point.

Hope this help and sorry about your dog.

Jan 24, 2016, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchdman View Post
    HelloUnfortunately this does sound like what happened to my Dog at her Senior Age before we had to put her down.My Dog had Arthritis in both back legs which saw her lose mobility in the hind / back legs causing her to pee herself due to not being able to get up ( Urinary incontinence ). Though there were a few other things.Due to your dogs old age it could also be some form of Cancer.There could be some Dental disease due to the bad horrible rancid odor on his breath.Anyway due to age and the possibility the dog could be in pain, the best and humane thing to do would be to Put the Dog down.You can spend all you want , though if it's going to prolong a dog that's in pain , there is no point.
    Thank you, for your reply and I am very sorry for your loss. I am an animal lover. I'm certain that the odor isn't due to dental issues his teeth and gums are pristine especially at this age, his vet is always impressed with his dental care that I provide daily. The odor started after he vomited the first time and I would imagine that and not eating contribute to the odor. There is a very good chance of cancer at his age, I do agree although, his last blood work up was normal " 3 weeks ago " he doesn't appear to be in pain I'm very vigilant of that and of course I'm well aware of the humane thing to do, THAT WAS NOT MY QUESTION, As for spending any amount of money please, don't misunderstand . I am far from well to due with finances what I mean is that I would max out my CC and bank account if needed " purely out of love " and work additional shifts if need be. If a doggy wheelchair would improve his quality of life than I would buy one. I'm not so quick to having my dog put down because he can't walk, I need to know that it is his time.You see I made a promise to my boy when I purchased him 16 years ago and that promise was that I will fight for his right to die a natural death as long as his quality of life wasn't poor and that I will be by his side in his hour of greatest need. As stated due to this blizzard nothing is open that I can get to within 25 miles.Again, Thanks, for your input.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 24, 2016, 11:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
    TI will fight for his right to die a natural death as long as his quality of life wasn't poor and that I will be by his side in his hour of greatest need. As stated due to this blizzard nothing is open that I can get to within 25 miles.Again, Thanks, for your input.
    A week ago, we had to put down a beloved cat, so I too well know what you're going through. Dido was a stray, age unknown, and came to live with us in 2010. At the end of her life, she had her good days and her bad ones. We made life as easy as we could for her, but she became mere skin and bones and matted fur, despite trips to the vet and various meds. Finally, a week ago Friday she couldn't do much more than lie stretched out on the floor -- no eating or drinking or even responses to our stroking her. We knew it was time. We even wondered if we had waited too long.

Unfortunately, the blizzard has greatly upset caring for your dog. Try to keep him as comfortable as you can, as you are doing. Is there an emergency phone number for your vet? At least you could call to get advice. Or even call a vet at home, if you can get hold of a number?

My heart is with you and your dog.

Jan 24, 2016, 03:42 PM
    Thank you so very much, for understanding me" for lack of my better words perhaps" My nerves have gotten the very best of me and I have not slept in 42 hours nor eaten anything,just quick runs to my microwave to make hot tea and warming up food that I prepare for my Chase, The Govenor has placed us where we can not drive after 6:00 PM yesterday it was and his morning it was 2:00 pm. Blinded by my own tears I couldn't see where I was walking let alone the 2 feet of snow and carrying my 20 lb boy, I slipped and fell on my back " Thank fully" I held him to my chest and I took the blow, I'm not as young nor in the shape I was in years ago and my arthritis is very bad but I try.I did get through to his vet and was advised that I was doing all that can be done at the moment and to continue as I have. I secured a taxi for tomorrow morning which I dread but his time has arrived and I've kept my promise to him 16 years later. It causes me heartache which I've never felt before to see him like this, knowing he must be hungry thirsty, I continue to gently wash him in bed with warm wash cloths and his doggy wipes and drying and combing him out. He has always been a wonderful companion and doesn't deserve this.I'm amazed how in only a few days he took this DRASTIC change. I will continue to comfort him and hope that he may go in peace here at home with me by his side. Tomorrow I end what I realize is very poor quality of life " in a matter of 3 days "I am truly sorry for your loss and know that you did what was in your heart a selfless act of love.I hope someday that I may comfort someone in need as I am and you have .God Bless
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 25, 2016, 11:26 PM
    I'm so very sorry.

This decision is never an easy one, but it's sadly the price most people pay for having the love of an animal. Somehow, some way, they let us know when they're at the end, and as loving pet parents we do what we have to do for them. It's never easy.

Take comfort that his pain will soon be over. Yours will last a while I'm afraid, and may never completely go away. It's those of us left behind that have to deal with the pain, our loved ones are at peace, and waiting for us.

I've been in your position too many times, and it never gets easier. Each one breaks my heart. I have a house full of rescues, so I know that I'll always have the joy of the lives around me that I saved and gave a better life, and I also know that I will have the sorrow when they pass. I never hesitate to rescue another when I can. The joy they bring is worth it.

If you need to talk, or need a shoulder to lean on, we're here. Again, I'm so very sorry.
    Dchdman Posts: 226, Reputation: 17

Jan 26, 2016, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chasesdad View Post
    Thank you, for your reply and I am very sorry for your loss. I am an animal lover. I'm certain that the odor isn't due to dental issues his teeth and gums are pristine especially at this age, his vet is always impressed with his dental care that I provide daily. The odor started after he vomited the first time and I would imagine that and not eating contribute to the odor. There is a very good chance of cancer at his age, I do agree although, his last blood work up was normal " 3 weeks ago " he doesn't appear to be in pain I'm very vigilant of that and of course I'm well aware of the humane thing to do, THAT WAS NOT MY QUESTION, As for spending any amount of money please, don't misunderstand . I am far from well to due with finances what I mean is that I would max out my CC and bank account if needed " purely out of love " and work additional shifts if need be. If a doggy wheelchair would improve his quality of life than I would buy one. I'm not so quick to having my dog put down because he can't walk, I need to know that it is his time.You see I made a promise to my boy when I purchased him 16 years ago and that promise was that I will fight for his right to die a natural death as long as his quality of life wasn't poor and that I will be by his side in his hour of greatest need. As stated due to this blizzard nothing is open that I can get to within 25 miles.Again, Thanks, for your input.
    A Doggy stroller ( for back legs only ) are generally used for dogs that are paralysed from the waist down, though yes you maybe able to get one fitted for your dog , though it would also depend on how strong your dogs front legs are still.

" he doesn't appear to be in pain "

Unfortunately this could be animal instinct noting all animals in the wild show no signs of pain or disease until they can't any longer ( Last stages ) so go as long as they can as normal , noting if they didn't they would be picked off by other animals.

My dog did this even though she had full arthritis for 2-3 years, though if you touched her and moved any of her hind legs she would become agitated and even attempt to bite.

If you wish to you could do the same test and move your dogs hind legs to see if any agitation or even aggression occurs. Note be careful when doing this.

If he/she/your dog shows signs of pain or discomfort then he/she/your dog has hidden it well like my dog did.

Unfortunately if he/she/your dog does then like I said before " You can spend all you want , though if it's going to prolong a dog that's in pain , there is no point. "

Note = Not being heartless here and please don't misunderstand , as I even prolonged putting my dog down for 3-4 months, though pain is pain and prolonging it is torment so it is better to put them down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog hasn't eaten in 2 days and hasn't pooped in 2 days [ 6 Answers ]

What can I do at home to help him... he has not pooped or eaten in 2 days

Dog not able to put weight on hind legs [ 1 Answers ]

I woke up this morning to find that my Pommeranium X who is about 9 years old is having problems walking on his hind legs. I rang the on-call vet as I was worried it was a tick. As we have no ticks in the area the vet advised that its probably a muscle issue. I'm still concerned as he can put...

What can do for my dog? He hasn't eaten in 4 days and is lethargic. [ 4 Answers ]

He's a 6 month old mutt we found him. The past 4 days he's been drinking lots of water but not eating and he's very lethargic. I cannot afford to take him to the vet. I feel so helpless it's reakig my heart what can I do?

Why does my dog have bumps on his hind legs? [ 2 Answers ]

The bumps color are red and there not that big like a inch long and 3 centimeters wide.

American eskimo w/problem eating [ 1 Answers ]

She's 9 yrs old and recently started yelping when she'd eat. Can't open her mouth, but know something's wrong. I can sometimes feed her like a horse, out of my hand, but know she's eating the best she can. What could she be yelping for?

View more questions Search