Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fbilotta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Full or part time resident of New York City?
    I have maintained (and continue to maintain) my permanent residence in New Jersey for the last twenty years. I rented an apartment in New York City in April 2006. I work the great majority of my time in NYC. I stayed over night in New York City approximately 90 times in 2006.

Am I a resident of New York City for 2006?

Am I a part-time resident of New York City for 2006?

What Form do I use to file my 2006 tax return for New YorK?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Apr 13, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fbilotta
    I have maintained (and continue to maintain) my permanent residence in New Jersey for the last twenty years. I rented an apartment in New York City in April 2006. I work the great majority of my time in NYC. I stayed over night in New York City approximately 90 times in 2006.

Am I a resident of New York City for 2006?

Am I a part-time resident of New York City for 2006?

What Form do I use to file my 2006 tax return for New YorK?
    From New York's perspective you will be considered a part time resident of NY. As such you will have to allocate income between both states, taking appropriate credits.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 20, 2007, 09:36 AM
    Delite has it right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Part Time Versus Full Time [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the line for part time employment versus full time employment in Georgia. I can't find it anywhere!

Am I A Part-Time New York City Resident? [ 9 Answers ]

My husband and I own a house outside of New York City (in NY State) and are contemplating purchasing an apartment in Manhattan to make our commute easier. We would live in it 3-4 days/week and spend the rest of the time at our country house. We both work in Manhattan. Our primary residence is...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search