Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Dec 7, 2015, 04:43 PM
    End of Bankruptcy problems.
    My parents filed bankruptcy x years ago, and last month the bankruptcy ended. Part of the bankruptcy was that they had to surrender a house. During the bankruptcy they had my half brother living on the property because the bank wouldn't or couldn't take the property until the end of the bankruptcy. Within the last month, after the end of the bankruptcy, someone moved an Rv mobile home into the back yard and they were stealing utilities. Now the city is planning to fine or arrest my parents.

I guess the question is, are my parents still responsible? The bank should have taken the house at this point. Isn't the bank now responsible for the property since it was to be surrendered back to them at the end of the bankruptcy?

This is in California, the property is in San Bernardino County. If you need any other details, I'm happy to provide.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2015, 07:24 PM
    First a bankruptcy is not complete until there is a final discharge paper issued by the court. Has that been issued.

And next as strange as it may sound, a bank may wait years to ever take the house, and sometimes they just don't.

Your parents own the property till the time the paperwork is signed, and filed at the courthouse.

If someone is stealing utilities, merely report them to the police and notify the utility that you are not aware of who they are, and give them a copy of the police report filed against the people living there. Also remember that if there is no liability insurance on property, someone getting injured there, could also sue.

Your attorney needs to contact the lender and get the deed transferred and filed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 14, 2015, 12:05 PM
    Tell the city what you have told us. Bottom line is that the house belongs to the bank; your parents apparently "walked away" from it and the bank should have taken over. It looks to me that the bankruptcy didn't prevent the bank from taking possession. Whether the bank did or not is not your parents' problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What should I do to end up my problems with my boyfriend [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are in relationship since 10 months... although we fought but we are deeply in love with each other. Everything was fine and good but since a week my boyfriend was behaving in really strange and rude manner which gave me a sign that there is a problem which he doesn't want...

Physical problems at the end of my pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

I am 30 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child, I am 33 years old, with my 2 children I did not have major issues with the pregnancy, my second born was a C-section and this baby will be a scheduled C-section as well but I have trouble walking my pelvic floor is swollen I am tired most of time, I still...

Relationship problems. Should I dump him.is this the end of us [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfreind and I have been going out since June 2 2007. Before when he asked me to be his girlfriend he use to talk to me more on msn and use to care a lot. But now its like everything is going wrong I got really mad at him. I am not sure if how I'm acting is the way a good girlfreind should be...

View more questions Search