Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goetzco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 11:30 AM
    49 year old with 65 year old retinas
    I saw my ophthalmologist on Tuesday because my vision has taken a plunge over the last 6 months.

He said I have the retinas of a 65 year old. I have researched the web for countless hours and can't find anyone who has experienced this. I know I am not creating medical history here. I just want to know what might cause this, and what those other patients experienced.

I had the laser surgery to correct near-sightedness in one eye and far-sightedness in the other in 2001. The doc said that one answer is that I may have been born with this, but beyond that he had no answers yet. One thing that troubled him was that he could not get my vision corrected using different strength lenses.

Anyone with suggestions or familiar with a similar situation?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
    It all comes down to genetics. Your doctor should have told you that.

I know someone who at the age of 42 was diagnosed with the beginnings of cataracts. She thought that was something that started occurring in your 60's. Family history includes detached retinas, glaucoma, cataracts, macular degeneration. That person was born out of a gene pool that had the odds stacked against her. She was diagnosed as near sighted at the age of 7 and has worn glasses since then. At 42, needed bifocals. Never opted for the Lasik surgery at a younger age as a result of being told that her vision was so bad that there in all probability would still require glasses. Her mother started wearing trifocals by the time she was 60.

So, it is unfortunate, but there are many people who have yours and this person's problem. We blame her parents for not mating with someone who had superior genetics in this area.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase percentage cap for New jersey year to year [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am signing a lease for another year with my landlord but he wants to increase the rent 15% for the new year. Is there a cap on the increase for raising rent. This is for a house, not an apartment. Thanks!

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

View more questions Search