Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canman60 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2015, 05:43 PM
    Sewer smell coming in bathroom exhaust fan when electric clothes dryer is used
    When ever the dryer is used I get a sewer smell coming in the bathroom exhaust fan
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 24, 2015, 05:59 PM
    Only way that would be possible would be if the bath exhaust fan is not properly vented to the outside.

Nov 24, 2015, 06:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Only way that would be possible would be if the bath exhaust fan is not properly vented to the outside.
    Thanks I think they hooked the bathroom exhaust vent into the vent stack pipe in the attic, will have to crawl up there and check to be sure.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 24, 2015, 06:14 PM
    If they did hook it up to the vent stack - then it is very wrong. Disconnect it, plug the hole, and reroute it.

Milo

Nov 24, 2015, 07:04 PM
    Thanks I think they hooked the bathroom exhaust vent into the vent stack pipe in the attic
    Who is "they".

Nov 24, 2015, 07:25 PM
    Preveious owners of the home

Nov 24, 2015, 08:26 PM
    Must have been petty dumb.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Nov 27, 2015, 05:04 AM
    Can man,
    In a tightly constructed home it is possible for the dryer exhaust fan to create negative indoor pressure and draw in outdoor air through vents, fireplaces, exausted appliances / furnaces / water heaters, etc.
    If your bathroom vent exits near the soil pipe vent, sewer fumes could be drawn in when the dryer runs - I would first confirm that sewer gas is present by opening the soil pipe clean - out in the basement. There are many ways to generate odors similar to sewer gas including dead, rotting rodents...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas/sewer smell when using electric clothes dryer [ 29 Answers ]

We have had a sewer/gas smell in our laundry room on and off for about a year now. At first we thought it was coming from our new Kenmore front load washing machine as we would get the smell when doing laundry. We had a plumber take a look and he snaked all the drains and said the outdoor pipe had...

Sewer sewer gas smell when using electric dryer [ 5 Answers ]

I have a sewer gas in my small bath room on other side of wall is my washer and dryer,I have had new seals put under the toilet and checked the sink trapped which is working OK,I have found out for sure the only time the smell occurs is when you use the dryer and the smell is only in the small bath...

Sewer sewer gas smell when using electric dryer [ 2 Answers ]

A wall separates my washer and dryer from a small bath room,gettig a strong sewer gas smell in the small bath room I thought when use the washer but after using the washer this morning waitged about 15 minutes and no smell so turned on the electric drye and in about 10 to 15 minutes had a strong...

Gas Dryer Exhaust Smell in Clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Sears Elite Gas Dryer, it has developed a smell in our clothes and especially towels, that smells like the exhaust of the dryer. It is really strong when the towels are re-wetted when drying off. The smell will stay on the skin. I have cleaned the lint screen, fan, cabinet,...

Smell coming from electric clothes dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Why is the dryer suddenly smelling like sewer water when I turn it on? This had not happened before. The clothes don't smell, it seems to be outside the dryer.

View more questions Search