Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vivai Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Spouse SSN for Filing Returns
    I was in US from Feb-Jun 2006 on L1 visa. I am married. My wife was staying in India. While filing returns online, spouse SSN is mandatory information. I have following queries:

1. What will be my residency status?

2. How do I file my returns without spouse SSN?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
    You are a non-resident alien, and therefore can NOT file jointly with your wife nor claim her as a dependent.

This being the case, you do not NEED a SSN for her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

F2 spouse no SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I was on F1 visa in 2006 and got married in June. My wife does not have a SSN. Should I file jointly and if so how do I get an SSN for my wife. Please advise. Thanks

Spouse on H4, no SSN/ITIN [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I was in USA on a H1B visa for close to six years, I got married in May 2005 and my wife accompanied me to the US for four months. We returned to our native for good in September 2005. I did not file for a ITIN/SSN for my wife during her stay. Can I file a joint return claiming her as...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

State tax filing for F1 visa holder - spouse has no ITIN/SSN [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am a student on an F-1 visa , and have a wife on an F-2 dependent visa. I can file the federal tax forms without an ITIN for my wife as I will be completing a W7 to apply for an ITIN. How can I claim my wife on any of the state tax forms, as they ask for the spouse's ITIN? Thanks in...

View more questions Search