Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2015, 09:01 PM
    Brokerage Account as Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivirship (JTWROS)
    1) How can someone that has a JTWROS Brokerage account "break" that account, or change that account to another type, like for instance Joint Account in Common. The goal is to protect the heirs from the "survivor" in the JTWROS, since with this type of account the survivor becomes automatically the owner of the 100%.

2) Since any party in a JTWROS brokerage account can dispose of the assets, is it possible that one of the holders sell 100% of the investments and then transfer those proceeds funds to the checking account in that same bank and then finally write a check withdrawing 100% of these proceeds?

Thank you,
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2015, 09:26 PM
    If the brokerage rules will allow, each person on the account will sign to have the account changed. It can not be changed without approval of both people.
    In some cases a new account will have to be opened and the funds from the old account moved to the new account.
    As long as both people are in agreement, it can be done. It can not be done, if one person will not agree.

It will depend on the rules of the account, if the account requires approval of both people for withdrawal? Or only one person, Each is correct depending on the rules of the account.
    If one person does it, without knowledge of the other, while it will not be a criminal theft, it could be a tort issue of conversion and make the one who took the money libel in civil proceedings.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 28, 2015, 07:43 AM
    Actually, a JTWROS would pertain to real estate, not a brokerage account. The idea is similar, however. If one of the owners or "holders" withdraws the funds and transfers them to another account, yes, the funds would belong to the holder of the other account. Then, if this holder were to die, the new account would be a part of his or her estate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on joint brokerage account [ 2 Answers ]

My brother and I want to open a joint brokerage account and invest 50/50. I was told the primary account holder is responsible for taxes. Do they do 100% of the capital gains taxes then give the secondary holder their profits? Or do they do 50% of the profits and the secondary holder does the...

How to report losses on a joint brokerage account? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend and I opened a joint brokerage account. We made each transaction together and now are trying to figure out how to report our losses. I am single and he is married - when I filed my tax return do I simply report half of the losses and he reports the other half? Thanks in advance for the...

Joint Brokerage Account with non-US citizen. How does taxation work? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, If I were to have a joint brokerage account with a non-US citizen, that I am not married to, that lives outside of the US--- then how would capital gain tax work? I am the primary account holder. Would I have to pay capital gains tax in his place? Thank you!

How to report income tax on joint brokerage account [ 6 Answers ]

John and Mary are friends, both are single. They opened a joint account with a stock broker. They made some profits. How do they report income on this amount? Thanks...

Changing SSN on joint brokerage account [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint brokerage account with my two brothers. We would like to change the reporting SSN prior to selling stock with a capital loss to that of my brother who has capital gains. Can we do this? Are there negative consequences?

View more questions Search