Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michellatini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2007, 11:15 PM
    My cat may be pregnant
    My cat was released to the great outdoors by my irritatingly selfish roommate. I wasn't even given the benefit of a phone call. I had to find out from my neighbor (who had seen her outside, but couldn't get her to go near him) when I got home. Now I'm pretty sure she is pregnant, though I'm not sure how far along. What should I expect of her now? I'm afraid to take her to the vet's in case they want to abort the pregnancy (which I am whole-heartedly against!) I need some helpful suggestions on what I can and should do to make my cat's life easy with this pregnancy.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 01:52 AM
    If I am correct, it sounds like you and I believe that cats are indoor pets. Too many things that are not desirable can happen to them in the great outdoors.

I had a female cat that once got out and became pregnant. Didn't like the fact the she got out. But, the litter was a blessing! She is dead now. But, I still have one of her sons.

These sites may be of help to you. I hope that they are.

Signs a Cat is Pregnant

So Your Cat is Pregnant - What happens during birth

Pregnant cat - pregnancy signs in cats - Article on Pets.ca

Cat Pregnancy - Pregnancy in Cat - Cat Pregnancy Sign - What Pregnant Cats Need

Cat Pregnancy Signs - How To Recognize

Heat Cycles and Pregnancy in Cats: Breeding Tips from HDW Enterprises and Foothill Felines Bengals.

Frequnetly Asked Questions - Cats

Caring for your pregnant cat:

Pregnancy and Birth in Cats - So Your Cat is Pregnant - What Next

Care and Feeding of a Pregnant Cat

Breeding & The Care Of Your Pregnant Cat

CARE OF THE PREGNANT CAT & KITTENS
    Michellatini Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
    Thank you for your advice and those websites to help. I really appreciate it, and I agree with you that cats should stay inside because it is much safer for them. (I myself live by a highway, so you can imagine how scary that would be for a cat) I'm sorry your cat passed away, but that's great that you still have her son. I am planning on keeping one out of the litter for Zizzle to have as a companion. I work long hours and she gets lonely. Anyway, once again, thank you for your response. :-)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Michellatini, I am sorry I didn't see this post sooner. Just as an FYI, your vet CANNOT force you to abort if your cat is pregnant. If you are against it, he/she has an obligation to abide by your wishes. As good as the sites that Clough has given you are, it would be a wise move and beneficial to your cat's health to bring her in to see the vet so you can get a definite yes or no on the pregnancy instead of trying to figure this out on your own. The vet can help you with guaranteeing her, and her kittens', health throughout the pregnancy and delivery. He/she can give you additional info that you may need, so that you are prepared when the cat delivers.

If she is not pregnant, it might be wise to get her spayed so you don't have to go through this kind of uncertainty again. As long as you are living with someone irresponsible, make sure you do everything possible to ensure your cat's safety. One such action is to have her spayed.
    Jessyfay Posts: 164, Reputation: 4

Apr 13, 2007, 10:56 PM
    BILL BARKER SAYS: "spay and neuter your pets!"
    That's just common sense, for shame

Apr 13, 2007, 11:00 PM
    ABORT! Why would you put your cat through that? So your telling me you love your cat so much that you wouldn't kill her own babies, but you don't mind taking them away from her when she attaches to them physically and you sell them or give them away. NOW THAT'S NOT FAIR! If you have any sympathy for her you would abort the pregnancy while she still thinks it's just an illness. Whatever choice you make you have to take her to the Vet!
    swirlgirl Posts: 74, Reputation: 14

Apr 13, 2007, 11:11 PM
    Just as a tidbit of information: I only found this out myself a couple of years ago, being a cat lover, owner etc. since childhood... that why some litters of kittens are several different colors etc. is that she mated with more than one cat and most likely each different kitten is from a different male. If she has kittens that only look like her and perhaps only one other type of cat, then she mated with on one male, that the kittens look like. I read a story where a prolific cat had litters three times a year for 10 years... all her kittens looked like her, yellow ! She only mated with yellow cats like herself! She was a farm cat.
    Just like people some females are picky about whom they mate with and some aren't!

Apr 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Actually that is in rare cases swirlgirl and did you know there is actually a documented case where a woman who was pregnant with two babies, each one belonging to a different father, it is extreamly rare but possible. Weird huh

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Pregnant cat? [ 2 Answers ]

I own a 2 year old cat that I caught mating with my nieghbors cat I think she is pregnant. It has been a month and three weeks since then and her nipples became large and deep pink but she does not show in her stomach at all :confused: . She eats three times more than she did before and became very...

Pregnant cat? [ 1 Answers ]

I took my cat to a breeder to get pregnant about 8 weeks ago. She hadn't gone into heat, so we were never sure if she was pregnant. She got extremely friendly, and was always tired. We then went away for a weekend and came home to her not being as friendly, and crying and acting somewhat similar as...

I think my cat is pregnant [ 4 Answers ]

How can I tell if my cat is pregnant she is nearly 7 months old and my male cat has been mating with her she is now very affectionate her belly is starting to get big and her nipples are sticking out and look a bit pink does this mean she is going to have kittens?:confused:

Is my cat pregnant? [ 1 Answers ]

New to this site, need help, My youngest cat, she's 2, just had her 1st litter in august. All of the kittens were fine and healthy, I found good homes for them and decided to get her fixed next fall, I didnt think cats went into heat more than once a year. Her belly is getting bigger, I thought she...

View more questions Search