Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fulltimeworker Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2015, 11:12 AM
    Full time working pet parents
    I've been very excited about wanting to get a dog since I left home for college back in 2006. I've since graduated, went to grad school and now have my own space and a great job. My boyfriend too has a great job and we've talked about adding a puppy to our lives SINCE college. I have an excel sheet with all the up front costs (initial vet costs, cost to purchase pup, crate, food, toys, leash, collar etc etc etc) and potential costs down the road - such as medicines, additional food, behavior classes. I've pretty much have all my bases covered for what will have to do and what MIGHT happen.
    My question is this - my boyfriend and I work full time. Him 8-4:30, me 10-6. I'm already accustomed to getting up early, and can feasible see myself taking that time and taking my puppy on a long walk and some love time before work (I'd leave around 9:45). I can also come home around lunch time 12:30 to let pup out and walk during my lunch time.) I'd go back to work, and my boyfriend gets home from work around 5 pm and can let pup out again and feed, and I'm home at 6:05. (I live rather close to work). And we let the pup eat and then another long and fun walk before bedtime. (we plan on crating the pup as well). Does this seem like a doable schedule for two people who work full time? Weekends we will keep feeding schedule and walking schedule relatively the same, but we like to go out of town and hike or take the pup to the dog park near us to let him run around, but also puppy classes to help him socialize during the first few months. I'm just concerned about my pup not being socialized ENOUGH or having issues being crated 3-4 hours at a time during the day. It wouldn't be longer than 3-4 hours EVER. Please let me know if you have any advice!

I keep reading everywhere that it's HORRIBLE to get a puppy if you work full time, but it seems like this schedule will work, no?
    I'd like to avoid paying upwards of 700$ a month on daycare for the first few months (prices in nyc are rough)
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2015, 11:30 AM
    Congrats on your degrees.

Puppies will go through separation anxiety but they do get used to the schedule. We always had two dogs so that there would be someone to play with while we were gone. Crating is fine and he will get used to that schedule. Eventually when he’s completely house broken and over his anxiety he may not need the crate any longer. We went crateless about 2 years old. He’s also going to cry when you leave him in there but you cannot feel bad and go back to him because of the crying. The cool thing about coming home to the dog is how much the tail will be wagging when he see’s you.

Good luck!

Sep 8, 2015, 11:34 AM
    Thanks Oliver for the advice! I keep reading everywhere that it's HORRIBLE to get a puppy if you work full time, but it seems like this schedule will work, no?
    I'd like to avoid paying upwards of 700$ a month on daycare for the first few months (prices in nyc are rough)
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2015, 11:39 AM
    Don't worry about what everyone else says. Do what you want to do. A puppy will make a happy home incredibly happy. Your schedule is fine. You might want to read up on which dogs are very independent and can handle alone time better. We always had German Shepherds and they are very independent but also love their families. But then again we weren't in NYC.

Sep 8, 2015, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2011 View Post
    Don't worry about what everyone else says. Do what you want to do. A puppy will make a happy home incredibly happy. Your schedule is fine. You might want to read up on which dogs are very independent and can handle alone time better. We always had German Shepherds and they are very independent but also love their families. But then again we weren't in NYC.

I've grown up with dogs- so I have a great grasp on handling pups, but I suppose I want to make sure it'll be okay- we always had multiple dogs: golden retriever, husky and a german shep. I'm more worried about the puppy being lonely or being too young to be left alone that long... we always fed our dogs at night, wondering if that still would be best or during am before long walk and again at night.

Thanks so much Oliver!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 8, 2015, 01:15 PM
    I am guessing that the leaving at 9:45 is a typo since you said you work 9-6.

Which breed are you wanting to get? Where are you planning to get the pup from?

How old of a puppy are you thinking about getting? Would you consider an older puppy/dog?

Is there someone who can take the pup out when you aren't there?

Something to keep in mind is that a healthy eight week old puppy needs to be taken potty every 30 minutes, 30 minutes after eating, immediately after waking up and after playing (sometimes during) to learn when and where to go to the bathroom. Their bladders are not really big or strong enough to hold it in for 3-4 hours. 'Paper training' and/or accidents in the crate cause confusion about what is allowed so you will want to limit the chances of one happening.

Older pups may not be fully potty trained but generally can wait longer between potty times.

Younger pups need more than one feeding a day.

Your schedule would be pretty good for a well-exercised and adjusted young adult. I wouldn't recommend it for a younger puppy.

Good luck.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 8, 2015, 01:48 PM
    My experience is that puppies who have been left home alone for a lot of the day are often more anxious the rest of their lives.
    Also working til 5 doesn't get your bf home at 5 unless he's literally next door or always leaves early.

I'd wait til spring in any event. All that extra puppy attention through what could be another brutal northern winter wouldn't be my idea of fun.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Sep 10, 2015, 04:15 PM
    If people that adopted or purchases pets, only did so when they had the time, the shelters would be even more full than they are now.

In my experience puppies are very much like children. There's never an ideal time to have them, and if you waited for that ideal time, you'd likely die without them.

In other words, from your post you've done your research, you've planned this all out, and I think you should go for it.

Having said that, have you considered a rescue? Puppies are adorable, but they're a lot of work. An older dog, even a dog 4 months old instead of 2, can really make having a dog much easier. At 4 months they're able to spend a longer time in the crate, they're able to sleep longer and don't need to potty as often, and they're well on their way, if not already, potty trained.

If you're set on a puppy, have you considered breed? You love to hike on the weekends, you seem to be okay with multiple daily walks, you seem like an active couple. Do you want an active dog? Do you want a big dog? Do you want a little dog? Do you have an enclosed yard for him/her to play in? How much time, when you're home, do you have for this dog, and how much energy, during the work week, do you have? These are all things you need to consider.

General rule for puppies. A puppy can spend one hour in the crate for every month of age. In other words, during your work day, if you have a 2 month old puppy, it can only spend 2 hours in the crate before being relieved (walked, let out for a pee and poo). At 3 months you can leave puppy in crate for 3 hours without relief, etc. etc.

If you plan on getting a puppy that will grow into a large dog you may want to look at crates that adjust, or have dividers. A crate should never be too big. It's human nature to want to give our pets space, so many people will buy a small puppy and a huge crate, and then wonder why puppy is peeing and pooing the crate and making a mess. The crate is like a den, a safe place for pup. The pup should be able to stand fully, turn, lie down with paws stretched out, and that's it. The proper crate will avoid accidents and make potty training much easier, and make puppy much happier.

If you're getting a puppy get a crate that's adjustable, one that can grow with your pup. Many crates now come with dividers so you can section off the crate when puppy is little, and then give more space when puppy grows. I highly recommend this.

I think your plan is a good one, now you really need to decide on a breed, and decide if rescue may be the way to go. There are tons of puppies in shelters, many purebred. If you need help finding a shelter rescue in your area, you can PM me where you live and I'd be more than happy to do some research for you.

Above all, when you do get the pup, we need pictures! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

House Train puppy when working full time [ 17 Answers ]

Getting my puppy in a week. Will initially be taking a week of but want to know how to house train him when I work 9 to 5. I will have a crate for him and was thinking about putting pee pads in it. My theory is that as he grows he will have more control over his bladder and he will also be taking...

Is it legal to cut working hours from full time to part time [ 6 Answers ]

My company that I have worked for for nearly 20 years has been changing peoples hours with out notice by making them re-apply for other hours that are all part time 20hours or less . So if you had a job with 38 hours they would be no longer and you would have to apply for two 20 hour jobs with no...

Working full time in the UK on a student visa? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, I am on a student visa in the UK. I have just completed my course in university and am waiting for my degree to arrive (which would be in July). I am wondering if I would be able to work on a full time basis here on a permanent job now that my university is completed. My student...

Full time student and working [ 5 Answers ]

I'll be starting my freshman year at san diego state this September. I'll be an out of state student, with like no family there. I plan on working and being a full time student. Do any of you find this extremely hard and how do you deal with it?

F-1 working full time, refunds [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a F-1 status since Aug 2006. I have been working full-time with my employer in NJ since Jun 2007 - present, on a CPT for the first 3 months, and since then on an OPT that expires Sep 2008. My payckecks have been automatically withholding social security and medicare taxes. Which tax forms...

View more questions Search