Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bajubo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2015, 12:24 PM
    Cooling Upstairs Issue
    I have a two story home with one five ton unit. Of course, the upstairs area is hotter than the downstairs, but in the summer months, with my unit running all day, it gets up to the mid 80's upstairs, while being 75ish downstairs.

I'm trying to find a way to help out upstairs, but I don't know which route to go. The air intake is at the top of the stairs, which is just about in the middle of the upstairs floor plan. There are two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, and each has its own vent. I feel that part of the problem is the air coming from the vents is very close to the intake, their distances being about 10', 12', and 15' away.

The other thing I was contemplating was insulation instead of worrying about system changes. There's only insulation on the interior walls, none such as spray foam on the roof though.

I was looking through adding a ductless system upstairs to help, but with the intake being in the center, do you think it would actually help both bedrooms, assuming the BTUs are inline with my upstairs sqft?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 18, 2015, 01:26 PM
    Many older two story homes have similar issues. In the summer you should close all first floor supply ducts and open all upstairs supply registers. You also want to cover about half of your first floor return registers and leave the up stairs returns alone. Your ductless system would help but try what I talked about first, heck of a lot cheaper

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooling the upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 100 yr old house bungalow-style brick house, 5 rooms down, 1 very large room up. The furnace/AC is forced air. The upstairs is 450+ sq. ft. and has a single small duct. Is adding a second AC unit the only way to cool the upstairs? Would it be at all helpful to put a fan in the window on...

Upstairs AC not cooling [ 0 Answers ]

House is 16 years old. Three zones - 1 up 2 down - larger house (5000 square feet). Open living room area and high ceilings. AC always blew cold - never a problem until this year. Two HVAC companies have "diagnosed" the problem - one claiming outside compressor was "overcharged" with freon (no...

Upstairs not cooling at all [ 1 Answers ]

My upstairs was always hotter BUT ALLOF A SUDDEN it is barely blowing cold air AT ALL! Is it def freon. I noticed the unit had some ice but was this from turning it down so low the night I realized it was blazing hot?

Cooling Upstairs [ 6 Answers ]

I live in San Antonio Texas, in a house that was build back 1985. I have only one central air condition & heat pump for both upstairs and downstairs. I change the filter and get annual maintenance check up. There is a big difference between the temperature upstairs than downstairs (at least 5 to...

Cooling options for upstairs [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old house that always kept pretty cool during the Summer until I renovated going back and up. This has resulted in a downstairs area with more north facing windows, and therefore it heats up more. Upstairs is a nightmare – an oven. I’m comfortable with getting refrigerated Air...

View more questions Search